Over 4GB of Background Data, yet connected to Wifi 22 hours a day.
Swing01845

Always had unlimited data and never gone over 2GB. Upgraded to the LG G2, and now almost 6GB of usage. I'm on Wfii 22 hours day and sometimes longer on the weekends. Checked data usage on the phone, Android OS Background Data has used over 4gb. Factory reset my phone and since then, used over 500MB in 5 days. Today I disabled Caller ID, but have read that my 3g/4g symbol should have gone away. IS ok if both are on? 5 previous Android phones never did this, and I've never gone over 2gb.

Already called support. I had them save notes, because I this data usage is not my fault.

Screenshot_2013-10-29-15-11-32.png

0 Likes
Re: Over 4GB of Background Data, yet connected to Wifi 22 hours a day.
justinfi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is your Verizon Account reflecting that much data usage too? I've been sitting here thinking about what could possibly be the cause and I can't seem to find an answer. I'm researching it for you too. Since the beginning of my billing period, Android OS has only used about 63MB of my data usage. Strange!

Interested in finding a resolution. Let me know if you get it straightened out.

0 Likes
Swing01845

I have not found the issue. It's crazy. What I do think is happening, it Youtube is reporting data as Andoid OS background Data. This new phone is not preloading my youtube videos like my Nexus did. Could be the app as well, but that's only around 500mb for the month.

This phone is using a lot more data that my previous phones, and now that I dropped unlimited data to get it, I'll be over 6GB for sure, and all because of some phantom thing eating data.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know this isn't a remedy, but if it were me, until I figured out the cause/solution, I'd turn off cellular data until I needed it.

0 Likes
justinfi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Or this isn't ideal either, but I would restrict background data under the data settings and see if that helps.

What makes you think it's YouTube? Have you called Verizon or LG to see what they're saying??

0 Likes
RSHoughton

Duplicate post - please visit:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1030337#1030337

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
RSHoughton

I have the same problem, several times during my billing cycle my phone used chunks of data 400MB and larger.  Verizon technical support said it couold be Pandora.  So I am not going to be expecting a fix from them.  I did catch a thread on another forum that had something to do wtih Andriod 4.2.2 trying to upgrade several times a day and causing a ton of data usage which makes a lot more sense.  I am not sure how Verizon customer service could have so many calls on the same issue and not even Google to see if anyone else has had the same issues and what might be the cause.  Back when I was in technical support we actually fixed problems by research and troubleshooting.  For these guys, if it's not on their script it does not exist. 

Good luck!  For now I have just had to turn mobile data off which is awesome.  $200 a month for a phone.....JUST A PHONE.  I think I should call an attorney and file a class action against Google and Verizon for causing hundreds of thousands of users to pay data overage fees.  Maybe then they will decide there is an issue!!!!

0 Likes
TooManyLines

It has to be something with the LG G2. This is a snapshot the 5 lines we have, all smartphones. the first 3 phones are HTC's and a Motorola Droid.The one that ends in 97 is the new LG G2 and in this billing cycle over 2GB so far is Android OS. The last phone is a new Apple 5s. Most of the time the G2 is attached to our home's wireless. I've looked at auto updates and everything is set to only work on WiFi. HELP!!!

Phones.png

0 Likes
RSHoughton

Same here.  If I turn on mobile data it's like a little kid running off.  I forgot it was on after I used it a few days ago and it used 700MB.  I can't take my eyes off it for a second.  G2 was supposed to be my best phone ever and it seems I have gone back to the stone age having to log in anytime I need to use data. 

0 Likes
snshnrn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone found a reason for all the data usage on the LG G2 yet? We are almost over for the cycle now, since I got the LG 3 weeks ago, and our cycle doesn't end until the 26. I cannot figure it out. I looked at my old date usage from my iphone and I was only averaging 0.7 and now am at 2.276 with weeks left in the cycle!! Please help.

0 Likes