My phone keeps saying "Low temperature: unable to charge phone." What is this?
crys1112

I just randomly started getting this. I can charge my phone for a little while but then the message comes up. I need to charge my phone but I don't know how and I don't know why the message is coming up. Has this happened to anyone else or can anyone help? The phone is only like 2 months old.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: My phone keeps saying "Low temperature: unable to charge phone." What is this?
stef7
Master - Level 2

The phone senses the battery temp, and will force it to shutdown if the battery is too hot. Also I believe if the battery is too hot or too cold, it will prevent charging. I believe there is a small sensor located inside the battery that is interrogated by the phone. It would not make sense for the sensing to be done outside of the battery... but I could be wrong.

The LG G2 doesn't have a customer-replaceable battery. I think the Lucid might (if someone is being re-directed from that other post). One would have to check on the Lucid. I don't have that model phone.

If I had a phone where the battery was replaceable, I would try a new OEM battery. On phones like the LG G2... I would call LG technical support.  It might be as simple as the ribbon cable to the battery assembly is loose on the G2, but it's also possible the sensor in the battery is bad, or the circuitry in the phone used to monitor the battery is bad. Likely the phone would have to be serviced...

0 Likes
Re: My phone keeps saying "Low temperature: unable to charge phone." What is this?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

crys1112,

I am so sorry to hear about this issue with this device. This error message is definitely not normal. Have you tried using a different battery in the device? Are you using the manufacture charger when charging the phone? Does the low temperature only show up when you charge the device or when you are doing other processes to? Do you ever get a warning about the device being to hot?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
crys1112

I haven't tried using a new battery yet. The message only comes up when I charge my phone so far. There have been a few days where the message won't come up, but majority of the time it does. I'm still using the charger that the phone came with to charge it but I have tried other chargers. I never get a message saying the phone is too hot-just low temperature.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I know it sounds like a ploy to sell LG accessories, but the charger that came with the phone is the best to use as it has regulators built into it to control the charging rate.  If that charger is getting too hot or if the phone is way too hot when you use that factory charger, then it (charger) may be faulty.  If the phone gets too hot when you use another charger, provided you don't get the error message "Incompatible Charger" and the phone does charge, then the phone may be the issue.  I have never received the message of too hot or cold before.  But I know that you cannot replace the battery without voiding the warranty as our G2 wasn't built to be user serviced.

0 Likes