Latest update causes Google Play Store not to open/load. Shows only a white screen.
JessicaRandall
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since the last update, the Google Play Store will not open/load.  It just shows a white screen.  A notification also shows up in the notification bar at the top of my screen that says that the Google Play services requires an update, but doesn't do anything but try to open the Play Store when I click it.  It is updated, as are all of my apps.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Latest update causes Google Play Store not to open/load. Shows only a white screen.
JessicaRandall
Enthusiast - Level 2

After taking my phone to Verizon and them telling me that they were out of ideas, I took it home and backed up all of my information onto my laptop.  I then did a hard reset on the phone.  After completing the hard reset, the phone updated again and now everything works great!  The reason that I had to back everything up on my computer is because some of my apps, such as the Verizon Cloud was not updated and I could not update it since the Playstore wasn't working.

The customer service representative at Verizon told me that he has had several people come into the store with this same problem.  With the Lollipop update, Google Services is not recognizing the updated software on the phone, therefore still using the old Google software and it's not compatible.

Answer to problem:  1. Back up phone 2. Hard reset on phone 3. Restore phone with your information.

I hope this helps anyone else that has this problem!

Jessica

View solution in original post

Re: Latest update causes Google Play Store not to open/load.  Shows only a white screen.
Snn5
Legend

Very common issue.  Go to settings-app manager-Google play store-uninstall updates and clear data.  Reboot, go back to Play Store and it should auto update correctly.

0 Likes
Re: Latest update causes Google Play Store not to open/load.  Shows only a white screen.
JessicaRandall
Enthusiast - Level 2

This did not work.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

May be a bug, or you may need to factory reset.  I have noticed many Gapps force closing or not opening, but all have been repaired this way except Google Voice mail through Hangouts on speakerphone.

0 Likes
JessicaRandall
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was afraid of that.  I will probably be visiting a Verizon store tomorrow to fix this.

Re: Latest update causes Google Play Store not to open/load. Shows only a white screen.
SuperBeagle
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any success?

JessicaRandall
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took it to Verizon and since the customer representative couldn't use the playstore to update any apps, he couldn't get my phone to sync to Verizon Cloud.  He tried to back everything up on the computer, but for some reason couldn't.  He told me to try on my computer and then to do a hard reset and put everything back.  I haven't done it yet.  I just got home, but I will let you know if it fixes the problem.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

OMG...that's ridiculous.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

did you try logging out of your google account, rebooting the phone, and logging back in?

can you play youtube videos and browse the web?

ingrids
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been having SAME DANG problem - white screen with Play Store. 

Anything that requires authentication from Play Store doesn't work... YouTube, Play Music, Map Account Info, etc.  Even with the paid apps purchased via Play Store, I cannot use it - becausssseeeee the cell cannot access Play Store.  However, the Gmail is synching... the phone contacts JUST updated after a week of not being updated on the server (i.e. a phone number I edited last week in contacts wasn't updated until the last day or so.)  And pics uploaded in the last day... though it should have updated on the server over a week ago when Lollipop was updated... because that's when I had additional pics/screen captures taken.  (So of course, no updates can occur, no downloads can happen, and I cannot fix apps that Lollipop broke.)

In trying to resolve the issue (though it was ALL unsuccessful), I cleared cache and data and uninstalled updates. Rebooted.  Tried it all over again with Safe Mode.  Play Store update never occurred.  Went to another APK site and downloaded the file for Play Store onto my PC and transferred the file over to the cell... installed it through File Manager... tried it all over again... and still nada. Logged out of Google throughout the process.  Dealt with the dang missing Widgets from the Home Screen (after going into Safe Mode... unresolved issue from a reported bug several years ago.)  And also did the same with Google Play Services... clearing cache, data, and uninstalled updates... and then re-installed (after transferring file from computer.) 

Note:  for some reason, the date for Google Play Store (in App Manager) is 04/22/1970... and the only thing I found online is that it's the date Earth Day was created.

I can view the web but unable to download files using Chrome.  I have to open up Firefox to download or use the Wireless Storage app to transfer files from my PC.

Still grasping at everything BEFORE resorting to factory reset... though now that I think about it... I REALLY don't want to do a factory reset because of too many customizations on the cell... but with the Lollipop upgrade, I'm sure I will have to make customizations anyway.

0 Likes