Re: LG G2 5.0 Update Issues?
TrekkieMonster
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am genuinely glad to hear this. I have already made note of the steps you recommend for when the inevitable happens, in hopes of emulating your success. But, based on all the horror stories, I'm still a-skeerd.

TrekkieMonster
Enthusiast - Level 3

And I should also say that I very much appreciate you sharing your advice and experience with us all. I genuinely mean that.  That's why I come here: to share information and hopefully gain from others' experiences and wisdom and, hopefully, share some of my own when I have info to share.

Snn5
Legend

Sometimes I say something smart...sometimes.  Thanks for believing!  Welcome Smiley Happy

TrekkieMonster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, so much for that. As the day wore on, I discovered I didn't get the Lollipop update, but I got the extreme battery drain and trickle charging problem.  I went from 85% charge to 9% in about 5 hours. I can normally make it through my entire work day starting at 85% and only be down to about 65% when I head home (55%-60% if I'm using it unusually heavily).  Attached it to my car charger on my 1.5 hour commute home tonight, and I gained only 6%; normally it would be fully charged after less than 1 hour in the car.  At home I plugged the phone in to my original LG charger. After 4 hours I was only up to 62'%, and as soon as I unplugged it, I could see it drop by 1% approximately every 3-5 minutes I used it. This is not only extremely uncharacteristic for my phone, but completely unacceptable.  Did a power cycle, with no improvement either discharge or charging rate.  So, I finally figured at this point, I had no real choice and might as well take the plunge.  In the process of diving into the full upgrade now. Did an FDR and currently downloading Lollipop. Will do another FDR afterward and hope for the best. I'm not optimistic, but who knows; maybe I'll get lucky like Snn5.  Wish me luck.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Luck.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I wonder, if you didn't get the update, why did your phone act like that?

0 Likes
TrekkieMonster
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same question.  And, once again, I have to thank you for your advice.  After following your advice, and doing very basic set-up, I went to bed (it was 1:30 am), placing the phone on my Tylt Vu wireless charging stand (as I always do) and went to sleep (after taking a peek and noting, with relief, that the charge percentage actually was inching up, rather than staying steady as it head been pre-install).  In the morning, my phone was at 100% and the back was cool.  I did some more set-up, manually adding back ringtones, pictures, music, etc. (I've never been happy with auto-back-up and restore results in the past), and manually adding back my apps. 

I headed to work, using Waze as usual.  I had a bit of trouble at first with GPS, but a power cycle seemed to remedy that (for good, I hope).  Because of all my fiddling the battery was down to about 80% when I got in the car, so I plugged in the car charger and, again, it was actually charging faster than it had last night on the way home last night; not as fast as usual, but okay.  I've been fiddling with settings and such off and on throughout the day, so have more on-screen time than average, and it seems to be holding its charge surprisingly well, based on others' reports. The battery does seem to be draining a little bit faster than it used to, but nothing drastic like yesterday. 

I also had a little trouble with the LED notifications this morning, but when I installed Light Flow Lite (which I've been using for a long time), and configured as usual, that seemed to take care of the problem for me (which the exception of missed calls).  What else?  Actually, I can't think of anything off hand. All in all, I feel very fortunate that my experience seems to have come off much better than most everyone else I've talked with. And, again, I have to thank Snn5 for his advice, which I credit with me having a much more positive experience than I had feared. 

On the down side, I have to say that I don't particularly like the look of Lillipop, and think it was particularly foolish to change the home icon to a circle (now intuitive is that?), but I guess I can get used to that.  But I do like how much more customizable the touch buttons are now.  The one big peeve I have, though, is I cannot seem to find any way to get a weather widget on the Lockscreen. I found a way to have my weather app constantly run a notification, which appears on the Lockscreen; but I really liked my old combination weather and clock widget.  Also miss being able to swipe to other widgets from the lock screen; especially my flashlight widget; can't seem to find a way to make this work, either.  As Snn5 - and others - have mentioned, the replacement for Quiet Time is a train wreck; not intuitive at all.  But, once I figured it out it seems to be functioning properly ... I think.  Oh, but Daydream (which I have historically paired with Quiet Time in using my phone as a bed-side alarm clock) is not working properly.  I've tried setting it up to run when docked, when charging and either (as I used to), and it did not work at all.  Will keep fiddling.

And has anyone been able to find the flashlight app/widget that is supposed to be built into Lollipop?  I can't find it anywhere, and a search of the phone doesn't yield any results. Using my old app/widget, which is fine, but was just curious.

BTW, I just checked and noticed that I'm now running 5.0.2, if that's of interest to anyone.

So, after all my whining I figured the least I could do was report back and, again, thank Snn5 for his guidance.  Best of luck to you all, and I will report back with any further positive or negative findings.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You are most welcome.

I have the flashlight widget, stock, on my homescreen. 

The lockscreen is still rather less-than full-featured.  I cannot pull down from the clock to access the lock screen widgets like in KK 4.4.2 but I can add an app to the shortcut list on the lockscreen, but that requires downloading another flashlight app. 

I used light flow pro back on my GNEX, but havent found a use for it on this G2.  Though, I have noticed that the LED flashes once every 9-10 sec for a text whereas it used to be about 5 sec in between flashes. 

I also have found no way to get weather on the lockscreen other than the animations, which only show if it is either snowing (none here ever in my area) or one other weather type.  I miss the sunbeam and rain animations myself. 

Check your widgets again for that flashlight.  It should be there, and it is the same icon it was previously.

I never messed with Daydream much as I have an old fashioned red LED clock bedside for a back up alarm.

My G2 is actually a hair faster and more responsive on LP.  I don't like the colors myself.  But, I still get the same 25-30 hours a day use out of the battery.

0 Likes
TrekkieMonster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, as always, for sharing your thoughts. You're right: my flashlight has apparently always been a stock widget. I've found it but, as you say, there's not way to get it on the lock screen and no way to apply it to the shortcut bar on the swipe screen.

Still can't get Daydream to work, despite yet another FDR.  Very frustrating, as I've relied on this and similar features since my old Blackberry days.

Thought I'd also offer some further updates, to the extent that they may help others.  My phone continues to be more functional than I was expecting based on prior reports and, apparently better than many others.  However, I'm not at all happy with the charging/discharging issue - compared with pre-upgrade - but at least it's not as bad as some people have reported, nor as bad as it was that day I was "in limbo" (described above).  And, oddly, unlike my experience with other upgrades, the more time that passes the worse my battery issues seem to be; not "significantly" worse, but noticeably.  This could be because I've installed more apps, but I still only have about half the apps on the phone as compared with pre-upgrade.

The other thing I've noticed is that the phone is very jittery and "laggy"; virtually every action seems to have a delayed reaction - sometimes severe.

And I don't know if it's just me, but my notification shade just seems extremely crowded, and always "full".  I've even disabled the brightness, volume and Qslide bars, but it still seems crowded.  Everything that appears there just seems bigger than before; maybe it's just me.

I'm hoping we get some kind of further update soon that will at least help with the battery life, lag and - hopefully - Daydream.

Until then, I'll keep plugging along.

spacewitch

We've had a problem with the hotspot not connecting to our laptop since the 5.0.2 update.  I've been through all the diagnostics in the  laptop (windows 7),including  windows firewall, McAffee firewall, everything I can dig up, to no avail.

There are two Security Keys given in the Mobile Hotspot app: the first was there before the update, and the second, new since the update is given as "000000" and is rejected by my laptop, saying it needs eight characters.

It should be noted that our samsung Galaxy S3 still connects without trouble.  I blame the update on the LG G2.  Can anyone help out?

0 Likes