Re: Knock On NOT working!?!!
briemarie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did see that number to update the firmware as well, I tried dialing the numbers, but I just got Verizon's automated response that "this number could not be completed as dialed." I will try to call LG's technical service to see if I'm possibly misdialing the number. Thanks a lot for your help stef7 

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yeah I tried that too. I was able to find another post with another means to access a service menu, but not one that would provide access to updating or resetting the firmware... And this might not be possible on this model with Verizon. So yes, LG is your best bet. Then, use that experience to make your point at a corporate store, if it comes to that.

Good luck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We really appreciate the Knock On feedback that you have provided. The software team asks that you perform a touch screen test by going to
Apps>Notebook>New Note>Draw vertical lines perfectly, touchscreen passes>Unable to draw vertical lines at some part, touchscreen fails. If it does fail, we can look into replacement options.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

TamaraH_VZW

It is the horizontal lines that aren't working. The vertical lines did work according to the screenshots the OP posted.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks, Ann154.

For some reason, I couldn't even view any attachments originally. I just refreshed my screen and I am able to see them now.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying the update, briemarie. What software version to you have?
http://vz.to/1kRIppj

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
michele000

I'm seeing the exact same problem, which I think started after the last SW update.  Knock ON to turn off the phone works but I can't use Knock ON turn it on. 

Parts of the touch display won't register. In exactly the same as reported by the originator of this thread. 

Even worse, I am no longer able to download apps from Google Play Store since the Install button lies in the "dead" zone.  

I've seen reports of this issue on other LG G2 devices on other carriers, but their users are able to fix it but entering a code into the dialer to reinstall the touch screen driver.  These code won't work on the Verizon version of the phone.

Is there another means to get the phone fixed, something like re-imaging or reflashing the device at the store?

0 Likes
hollywood_s14
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issues here, no knock on and a dead spot on the screen. The bets i can tell, this is an issue specific to Verizon variants. Other carriers are having issues with knock not working, but no dead spot issues. The other variants have the option to update the touch firmware that fixes the issues most of the time. For some reason the Verizon variant does not have that apk required to open the hidden menu. However i do not believe a simple software update will fix the issue. It may bring knock on back, but i have a feeling the dead spot if a hardware defect in the digitizer. Being that the Verizon variant is the the only variant built differently, this makes perfect sense. Although people say this is not a VZW issue, it really kind of is. VZW is the one who wanted the device built differently to include features such as wireless charging and the extra noise cancelling microphone. It could just be the knock issue is the same issue as the other variants, but the difference in build has caused a issue in the digitizer at the same time that has to be tied to the kitkat update in some way ( heat maybe?). That being said  I have visited a corporate Verizon store after reading some thread in here. They looked at it and deemed it warrantable, even with the scratches on the screen, and have got a OE ( so they say) replacement coming my way. IMO as long as Verizon is willing help obtain a manufacture warranty, they are doing ok in my book. As far as LG goes, GOOD LUCK! Their only solution is to send your phone in to be inspected with 5-7 days down time before they will consider fixing or replacing and determining  if it is unwarrantable or not. Their answer for I was supposed to do in the down time? Find a replacement while they have it. My best advice to anyone having this issue would be to go see you're closest Verizon corporate store.

On a side note in my searches i did find a " work around"  for getting to the hidden menu to attempt a touch firmware update. It requires side loading the apk from another variant and using ADB to launch it.Being i have a replacement on the way, im not willing to try it. Just thought I would put that out there.

Good luck everybody, i will update the the results from my replacement when i receive it. And thanks to the Verizon reps, although not direct contact your replies helped me in my quest.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

thanks for the update.

right, the hidden menu for requesting the firmware update / reload is disabled on the VZW model, and would require someone jumping through hoops to get it.

seems like there are two different problems.

1). digitizer failing. should be able to check this with a program / download like Touch Test. There should be no areas of the screen that don't register when you trace your finger around.

2). knock on not working. something is leading to corruption of the firmware. However, it's possible, some people have turned it off. Settings | Gestures | KnockOn. One should also verify they've calibrated the Motion Sensor: Settings | Gestures | Motion sensor calibration

0 Likes
hollywood_s14
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did a motion sensor calibration, no dice . I would like access the hidden me nu with the work around, but dont want to risk goofing something up and voiding my warranty. However i dont feel it would help though. I think the dead spot is hardware. It is odd though how across all variant the loss of knock on is happening, but the verizon variant is the only one i have seen reports of dead spots on.

0 Likes