0 Likes
Re: KitKat update killing battery
Sinwater

How do i block the software update?? Kitkat

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

In JB it was under settings > app manager > software update or system update (orange icon) cant do it in KK though, not that I have found.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

If you haven't updated yet, when you see the pop up screen, it should ask if you want to update or choose another time to update just choose another time as that is what I'm doing with the K.K. update on my Droid Max I usually put it off for at least 20 Hours.. then I repeat the process... b33

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, you can do that too.  Disabling prevents it from showing up again until you re-enable it.

Future2Hope4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all.

May I offer a suggestion on how to improve battery life? Go to settings>Tethering & network> Mobile Networks>System select.

Check your network mode. If global is selected, change this to LTE/CDMA.

I remember when completing Samsung OTA updates that this feature would be activated by Verizon. Sure enough, they did the same on the lg G2 OTA update.  Once I changed my network to the LTE/CDMA option, my battery life was better than before. 

This may help a few of you avoid a factory data reset. 

Secondly, I’ve noticed that once I force the network to change, the next time it resets to “Global” the battery consequences are not as severe.  I’m not sure why the phone network changes like that but it does. 

Hope this helps a few of the forum members. 

B33
Legend

Good Suggestion that is were I have my phones set Too as Well..  b33

0 Likes
Privateloyal

I am having the battery issue after updating. Battery life has been shorten and even when I charge overnight when battery life has been less than 10%, it charges only up to 16%. What is causing it and How do I fix it?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your battery life, Privateloyal. We're here to help out! Just in case, have any of the tips that have been provided helped out at all? Do you receive any error messages? Are you also using the original charger and cable as well?

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

jtrpop
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can confirm these problems as well.  Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2, factory reset. It has very poor battery life (1/2 a day) and it will often switch between 3g or 4g in places where my old Droid Bionic had 4g at all times.  Already went into a Verizon store and the rep switched out the SIM card which he said would help, but did not.

Since this appears to be a widespread known problem, when will Verizon have the fix? If Verizon pushes out bad updates which render our phone in a poor usable state, they should upgrade our phones at no cost to us, regardless of warranty status.