Re: KitKat update killing battery
Snn5
Legend

FDR did not fix.  My replacement arrives today.  I will not update, opting to disable the system update app until later on in the future...if ever.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes, go into Settings | PC Connection, and choose, select USB connection method, and choose Media sync (MTP). Then an icon for the device should show on your computer that will allow you to drag and drop.

There are other means to transfer files, FTP for example, but you need to be a little computer geeky to do so. I've had good success transferring files over WiFi for example using SwiFTP client (which you must side-load), and FileZilla on a PC. People with MACs already have an FTP client I think.

There's Bluetooth, and there's also Wireless Storage under Settings | Share & Connect | Wireless Storage (haven't used that but people say it's great).

I have no familiarity with files (names or types or extensions) getting molested during transfers. I guess you should Google that. Possibly you need to load a viewer that understands and can process that video when you transfer it back to the phone following a reset?

Good luck.

0 Likes
petersot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I think I just found the culprit for my wifi being on 100%. Turns out that Verizon Cloud services are trying to backup my contacts, documents, messages, photos and videos. Looks like i have another 6hrs and 12.4Gb of 23Gb of data to complete. My battery is down to 25% again. I'm hoping that once this massive sync/backup completes that my wifi will return to normal. I believe that may be what is killing my battery. I can't stop the sync right now, so I guess I'm just going to have to let it run its course. In the meantime I'm going to get a beefier charger 😉

0 Likes
petersot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a side note that I tried turning on the BT and I couldn't get it to pair with my laptop. Also, I tried to do the wireless storage and that didn't turn on either. Presumably because my wifi adapter is saturated with this other job...I tried to download and install a wifi file transfer and while it downloaded, it would not install. I think I'll be able to save off my important stuff via this Verizon Cloud sync.

0 Likes
darlintxmomma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having all the same issues. Can't back up to the computer any way I try. My phones charges roughly 10% an hour now and dies within 3-4 hours of getting unplugged. 2 days ago it would charge fully in 1.5 hours and last 20-24. I can no longer send or receive texts on either wifi or data. Can't install any apps from the play store. The lag is incredible and swype will no longer spell anything. it hangs up on the first letter then acts like i long-pressed it giving me symbols instead of words. Answering an incoming call is fun. When a call first comes thru, the light comes on and the phone does a little buzz thing, then about 10 seconds later it will start ringing, but it will never light up the answer call button or screen so I have to go to the power button on the back to turn it on then wait another 10 seconds for it to actually come on and hope by then that they haven't hung up or that vm has answered for me. I'm ready to set my phone on fire and I've only had it 3 weeks.

I just want to know how to back up my 1000+ photos so I can do a factory reset when I can't get it to communicate with anything. Comp doesn't recognize it anymore, no drivers work, Wireless Storage has failed completely, won't even turn on. I can't access the cloud storage which i tried using last night because i have to receive a text password from verizon to activate it and i cant get texts. Updating kitkat was the biggest mistake ever.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Duplicate post - please see:

Re: LG G2 upgrade 4.2.2

Messaged was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
petersot
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks like I am in the middle of a 20GB backup to VZ Cloud services. Everytime I get close to a wifi router everything turns back on to continue this backup. I'm seriously wondering if this is what is causing everything to slow to a crawl. If it doesn't get resolved in the next day or so then I'm going to escalate for a replacement.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I wonder why this didn't happen on my phone. Maybe I didn't elect to utilize the cloud? I can't remember if I was prompted for that.

Other people on other forums have complained about bad battery life, even the failure to really charge post-update.

You might have found a good culprit!!!

0 Likes
Seems
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to update - went into the Verizon store down the block from my office, and they were unable to figure out what was running the CPU continuously. So, as a last resort I did a factory reset and it has been fine since then. Still getting things set back up the way they were, so if it starts happening again I'll have a better idea which app might be the problem.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

petersot, Saving your battery is important! It's good that there aren't apps running in the background. Wifi and bluetooth for long periods impact your battery, as well. Try to allow the battery to almost drain completely, turn off wifi, bluetoot etc, and place the phone on a standard wall charger. while the phone is charging, try to ensure that it is not in use until charging is complete. Keep us posted.

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
VZWSupport