Do I get charged for data usage if I am connected to my home WiFi?
BushidoBrn

Do I get charged for data usage if i am connected to my home WifI?  and if I do, Why?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I get charged for data usage if im connected to my home WiFi?  and if I do, why?
Not applicable

You don't get charged for home WiFi from an ISP like Road Runner or Comcast or FiOS to insure cellular data is not used turn it completely off in your settings.

What happens is some devices will revert to using cellular data if you lose the WiFi connection or you leave the phone idle and it sleeps. Best to turn cellular data off while using WiFi.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

Re: Do I get charged for data usage if im connected to my home WiFi?  and if I do, why?
Not applicable

You don't get charged for home WiFi from an ISP like Road Runner or Comcast or FiOS to insure cellular data is not used turn it completely off in your settings.

What happens is some devices will revert to using cellular data if you lose the WiFi connection or you leave the phone idle and it sleeps. Best to turn cellular data off while using WiFi.

Good Luck

Re: Do I get charged for data usage if im connected to my home WiFi? and if I do, why?
Weth
Legend

If you are connected to your home wifi, and your phone is routing Internet traffic through the wifi, you do not get charged. There is some anecdotal evidence that some phones are using cellular data for some data transfers in certain circumstances. What phone do you have.

Eadur
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with Elector and Weth, it depend upon your phone. With my Droid MAXX I have not used any cellular data since 26 Oct, 2014. However, it is another story with my wife's iPhone 5c 8GB. So to make a long story short, by design her phone do turn off WiFi when it go dormant. Then it will switch to use cellular data, if your phone's cellular data is left on. Therefore, we have to keep her iPhone connected to a power source, so that it will not go dormant. That way, her phone stay connected to the available WiFi.

0 Likes
BushidoBrn

LG G2

0 Likes
Not applicable

My wife owns this device. You tap settings on the home screen, cellular turn on/off.

You can also swipe down from the front home screen and turn cellular on and off.