Block Texting
alycam3
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the past, month, maybe two, I am unable to block text messages for 90 days. Did something change. Please let me know. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Block Texting
Snn5
Legend

OK, 4.4 on any device which is stock cannot block texts anymore.  Hangouts is the only app I know that can block texts, but you have to be using it as default.  It's preinstalled so that's easy, but some prefer the stock app.  Calls being blocked...that's still easily done by sending all calls to voice mail, though that doesn't do much for unknown numbers not in your contacts.  Almost any app will do a sufficient job of blocking calls, but there are only a couple apps that claim they can block text and calls.  I use Call Control, but it was pricey back then and it still wont block texts.  So, you can block texts with Hangouts and Mr Number can block calls.  I hope Android 5.0 restores the ability to block numbers.  But that's not here and now.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

Block as in a VZW feature or a feature within Android OS?

0 Likes
alycam3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I log into My Verizon, choose Blocking Text/Calls, I plug in the 10 digit number and hit enter. The auto reply says " my request cannot be full filled and to try back later." This has been going on for a month. Any input would be appreciated. thank you.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I haven't used VZW call blocking feature in years as I have always used an app instead of paying for a service that blocks a limited # of numbers and only for a limited number of days.

alycam3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok thank you. I didn't realize it was an extra feature.

What app would you suggest I tried Mr. Number and it says Android 4.4 cannot block text. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

OK, 4.4 on any device which is stock cannot block texts anymore.  Hangouts is the only app I know that can block texts, but you have to be using it as default.  It's preinstalled so that's easy, but some prefer the stock app.  Calls being blocked...that's still easily done by sending all calls to voice mail, though that doesn't do much for unknown numbers not in your contacts.  Almost any app will do a sufficient job of blocking calls, but there are only a couple apps that claim they can block text and calls.  I use Call Control, but it was pricey back then and it still wont block texts.  So, you can block texts with Hangouts and Mr Number can block calls.  I hope Android 5.0 restores the ability to block numbers.  But that's not here and now.

alycam3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.Smiley Happy I could try hangouts. I wish the feature still worked and I am def looking forward to a fix w/ the 5.0.

Snn5
Legend

Hangouts is the Google native app for texting both regular contacts and Google contacts such as other Google users.  It also features video chat.  So, we have had calls, messaging, and video communications for a long time now already built into our phones.  Didn't mean to turn this question of blocked texts/calls into an app explanation.

0 Likes