Re: upgrading kin for FREE help
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

So glad to hear you got it all straightened out. Droid 2 global ... good choice! 

0 Likes
erikaccx

Hey everyone, I was reading your replies and experiences with upgrading from the KIN to a new phone. I have a question. Did everyone have to call Customer Service to get their new free 3G phone? I received my KIN from a real Verizon store in the city I live next to. Could I just go to them and get the phone that I choose that day?

It seems insane that Verizon is giving everyone this amount of hassle over a horrible phone that they endorsed heavily. Of course I want the Droid 2, since I immediately regretted getting the KIN because of it's habit of freezing constantly.

0 Likes
cutienerdgrrl

The letter states that you're SUPPOSED to go to a store. In my case that was a last resort because of the distance, and at least 2 of us have been able to do it over the phone (eventually, lol).

When you go to your store, be prepared that they might give you a bunch of run-around, because that's just how things are. Also, if the Verizon store you have in mind is an "independant" they may not honor the offer & direct you to a "corporate" store.

Good luck! Keep at it!

0 Likes
mgirlsmom

Ugh! Help!!! I went to my local store today and they had no clue what I was talking about. After giving me the run around for half an hour and "researching" my letter they finally agreed to honor it but not for a 3G phone instead they wanted me to take a basic model phone that didn't even offer internet options! I said I'd have to think about it and decided to try my luck with customer service. This didn't go much better, the girl I talked to had no idea what I was talking about and even when I told her to look under KIN promotions like someone had suggested she still couldn't find anything. She proceeded to ask her supervisor who in turn asked that I fax them my letter and after review they would honor it! Really???? I don't have access to a fax machine so will go in search of one tomorrow if I have to but does anyone have another number to call or a better idea of what to do?

0 Likes
Norrath_Reaver

I would recommend calling back, being very polite, and asking them to again look for KIN Promotions, making sure to spell out the KIN part, and tell them that it literally says any 3G capable phone, and this includes smartphones.

You could also point them to this thread on their own forums and have them research it via this data here since some of us are getting it taken care of successfully even if it does take a little bit of effort.

Remember, the first phone call I made I went through 2 people who had no clue, then finally found one who did via another call.

The system that VZW reps have to use to find information can be very confusing.  It really needs to be updated, but needless to say if they do some work they can find the information.

0 Likes
jtjones11233

I have to agree with Reaver on this one, you have to keep making calls until you hit the right customer service agent.

I got my letter friday and called Saturday no on knew what was going on, neither at the stores nor on the phone.  I had a really good agent who was nice to me and said she would get back to me on Monday.  Monday evening I called again and spoke to another person and they didn't know  what was going on at first, I mentioned the KIN Promotions thing but that got me put on hold for a few minutes then she came back and asked which phone I was intrested in.  I asked for a Droid X  thinking surely they would say no, but she placed the order and it's supposed to arrive today.

I called:

Customer Service
Dial *611 from your cell phone
(800) 922-0204
Monday-Sunday 6am-11pm

I wanted to go with a Droid 2 but I wanted to get away from sliders. Also hadn't seen any reveiwes. 

Anyway keep at it, it's there for the taking.

0 Likes
darekmeridian

Just an update for anyone interested, I got my Droid X yesterday. Activated it and set it up and it's working fine.

Verizon thanks for doing a good thing and not leaving your customers out in the cold.

0 Likes
cutienerdgrrl

Yes, thank you, Verizon, for doing a good thing!

To everybody still trying: just keep at it, even if it takes 5 phone calls, you'll eventually get somebody willing to do all the work.

My Motorola Droid 2 Global arrived yesterday and of course I'm having problems with it, but that's for a whole other forum. :smileytongue:

0 Likes
vtruth
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem with those promotions is you really need to go to a direct store and if they say no make them contact customer service themselves. customer service can look up the actual flyer in their campaign look-up tool and can honor it once visually seen. With customer service over the phone, there are procedures that have to be followed to be able to do anything on, they cant just say ok and send out the phone cause alot of those promotions are area or customer specific. So when you have centers that deal with calls from all over the U.S. its hard to prove it for sure. Make sure to read the fine print on the flyer too as store reps only get paid on compission so if they can get away from ordering you a free phone they will do what it takes to make a dollar sale. Customer service does not work off of commission though so when going to pick out a phone or get the best deal they are easiest to work with. Just some personal experience dealing with lots of customer service. Good luck to all to get your free phones!!!

0 Likes