Re: WARNING ALL OLD AMERICA'S CHOICE CALLING PLAN USERS!
daarnold82

I just had a similar experience and I have lost all faith in this company whatsoever.  You CANNOT get the same answer twice.  Who trains these people, monkeys?

I was told that I COULD unblock data and that it would continue to come off my minutes....and this is as of two days ago by a supervisor.  Apparently she did not know what she was talking about either.   Here is the super aggravating part....I was told that since I was out of my worry free guarantee period, I would not be able to return the phone.  WHAT!?!  How was I supposed to know how the data plan would work until I went thru an entire billing cycle?  Not to mention they CHANGED the plan functionality just after I renewed my contract, thus tying me up for another couple of years.  I thought I had a grasp on how it worked until they changed everything.  Well no wonder it took that long to get the facts straight.

I asked to be able to ship them back the TwoM, reactivate my old phone and use it until the IPhone4 was available (which I mentioned I would be WILLING to purchase a data plan for) and that was a no go either.  What a crock!  Im strongly debating cancelling my 10+ year account with Verizon.  Heck,the  only way I get reception where I live is with a network extender that I had to purchase out of pocket.  And this thing does not a thing for data signal.

IE...No reception, no data signal, terrible, uninformed customer service representatives and their supervisors.  Tell me, what am I to do!?! Its a moral dilemna at this point......

0 Likes
melzywi
Contributor - Level 1

I say send another email to the ones that I provided about your situation.  They may be able to let you return the phone.  But if enough people call and complain, it will be on record. Maybe they will do something.

0 Likes
blackmamba

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Did you expect to use your extra minutes to pay for data usage? Why would you do that if you get free wifi with this phone?

I have the America's Choice Calling Plan. I also pay an extra $5 for 250 text per month. I have turned off all the data stuff on my Verizon account just to be sure that I don't accidentally tap into THEIR wifi. Are you saying that if I turn it all back on, they would charge me $15 for a data package on this phone? I would assume that if you do something outside of the free wifi on this phone, you would be charged something, so I don't understand what you all are discussing here. Please explain more thoroughly. What do I have to be worried about, if anything, here?

Thank you.

0 Likes
blackmamba

Ok, I reread the posts and I think I might understand now what your issue is. You guys can't get the free wifi or for some reason, want to just unblock the regular data/wifi on your phone, yes? And in the past, you were able to pay for that using your extra minutes on your phone and now you can't. So if you try to do this, they will either add on the $15 plan or charge you per use fees, yes?

So for those of us who weren't doing this or aren't worried about this, it is ok that we still have the old America's choice calling plan. We're either tapping into the free wifi or expect to pay per use (I would be surprised to instantly have the $15 plan put on though) if we use the non-free wifi from Verizon.

Confirm please. Thanks.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Actually, what i believe they were talking about was the capabilities of using this 'America's choice' plan. This plan was able to use minutes as data; in other words, connect to 3G or other Verizon internet connections (1x/EVDO) without being charged extra for it. However, Verizon made it so this wouldn't work with the Kin phones, and i'm pretty sure they made it that way with other new phones too; that is their way of making old plan users sign new contracts with the new plans. AMerica's choice plan no longer exists; however, Verizon is under legal obligation to hold that contract, so until the customer switches, the way that they bill remains the old plan. No one wants to be running around with a 6 year old phone though; so they just make it so features like using minutes for data no longer works with newer phones. The problem that occurred with these customers was that Verizon did indeed tack on the $15 data plan without their consent, and i don't know how that is legal, but they were doing it and these customers were frustrated. They wanted to use their minutes as data (the regular data, 3G, not wifi; wifi is a completely separate entity from data), and Verizon didn't let them.

Wifi always would've worked, regardless of plan. In fact, if you bought the kin phones and didn't have any verizon service, you would still have a device that was wifi-capable, had an 8MP camera/720p HD video recording, and an 8GB Zune player/fm radio. Those are features of the actual device; the service covers calling, texting, MMS, data/3G, and those likes.

0 Likes
daarnold82

Thank you Fish..my sentiments exactly. I will say, Verizon FINALLY offered me an upgrade to a smartphone at two year pricing.  I will be getting the HTC Thunderbolt on Thurs. when it is released and smash this Kin 2 into 10,000 pieces

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

daarnold82 wrote:

Thank you Fish..my sentiments exactly. I will say, Verizon FINALLY offered me an upgrade to a smartphone at two year pricing.  I will be getting the HTC Thunderbolt on Thurs. when it is released and smash this Kin 2 into 10,000 pieces

Don't smash it ... There's someone on this forum who broke hers and wants to buy a used one. :smileyhappy: Enjoy your Thunderbolt!
0 Likes
BLrich

id be interested in your Kin2m

0 Likes
daarnold82

At this point it is humurous. So I called to order my HTC Thunderbolt, well...Verizon rescinded their offer of  "any smartphone" and now claims that it is just 3G smartphones...not the IPhone and not the Thunderbolt. What a CROCK.  They tell you one thing and then the truth is the opposite.  I would love to know what kind of training these ever so helpful reps go thru. I think if you are simply breathing, that is the extent of the training received.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

daarnold82 wrote:

At this point it is humurous. So I called to order my HTC Thunderbolt, well...Verizon rescinded their offer of  "any smartphone" and now claims that it is just 3G smartphones...not the IPhone and not the Thunderbolt. What a CROCK.  They tell you one thing and then the truth is the opposite.  I would love to know what kind of training these ever so helpful reps go thru. I think if you are simply breathing, that is the extent of the training received.

What was the original offer? Upgrade to any smartphone? Was it an email or told over the phone? Do you have any documentation? When did you upgrade? Do you have the Two or Two(m)?

Well, since the iPhone IS a 3G phone, that should be included, but that's irrelevant because it's not the phone you want. Sorry to hear this, especially since you thought you were ordering a Thunderbolt today.

0 Likes