Software Bugs
rbhokie

I just got my kin twom yesterday and have found I really like the phone but I am running across SEVERAL issues that I wonder if might be addressed.

1) Ringtones - Can ringtones be created from mp3s? I ask because the polyphonic sounds available are too quiet to hear. 

2) Pictures as wallpaper. - Why is it that I take a picture in Portrait mode and set it as a wallpaper it is automatically rotated to landscape mode?

3) Knowledge - I understand this release is trying to get rid of EXCESS inventory, but you have to at least inform your employees about this device. Your sales reps and technicians know absolutely nothing about the M units. Quite frankly it seems that you have the BEST feature phone you have EVER offered and willing to have people miss out!!!!! (or return them due to pathetic support)

4) Support - It seems like I can not find ANY information about this device on Microsoft's website or VZW's. This phone is the re-release ie the M, but there is absolutely nothing identifying what features should be available on this model as opposed to the kin two. Would it be possible to get a detailed spec sheet as to what can be done with this device and what can not? The wizbangs at VZW and Microsoft have even removed the feature to check for software updates?????? this phone has wifi and a browser, but  you have crippled it SOOO much.

Please for the sake of the Kin M release, HELP YOUR CUSTOMERS before they leave your company all together!!!!!!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Software Bugs
Centinel

Hear, hear! I purchased a Kin TwoM because of the built-in Wifi and now I'm wavering in my decision because of software issues I found which need to be corrected and could be easily corrected in the future by an update.

Ah, but there's the catch! What we need to hear from you, Verizon, is: point blank, can we expect to have updates of any sort for these devices in the future?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I will try to help answer some of these questions ...

Ringtones: There are a few threads in this forum on this topic. I believe some Kin users have found ways to create ringtones from MP3s.

Pictures as wallpaper: Not sure why a photo rotates to landscape, sorry.

Knowledge: I agree with all your comments.

Support: Below are links to user manuals for the rereleased M models. Other than that, I would say no, there will be no future software updates or other support on these closeout phones.

Kin Onem: http://pcdphones-client.s3.amazonaws.com/files/666/English_Manual.pdf

Kin Twom: http://pcdphones-client.s3.amazonaws.com/files/667/English_Manual.pdf

0 Likes
denverguy

Ringtones are easy.

Just create or download any ringtone to your computer.

The email it to your cell number@vzwpix.com

This also works for all picture files.

0 Likes
rbhokie

I wish it was that simple for me... I have tried countless times and it does not work. The message never reaches the phone. Have you had success doing this? if so, are there any tricks, cus .mp3 is not a supported ringtone according to the phone's documentation and at least 1 vzw store. thanks!

0 Likes
denverguy

I use phonezoo.com to create and save to my PC and works great

0 Likes
Pammy
Contributor - Level 1

Hi rbhokie.  Do you have "Auto Download MMS" turned ON ?   Go to Settings / Phone / and make sure "Auto Download MMS" is set to ON.   As recommended by someone on this forum, I use Myxer.com to download the free ringtones I want.  I save them to my PC rather than trying to text them to my phone, then email the file to MyCellNumber@vzwpix.com , and when I receive the message on my phone, click on "Set  Ringtones" (it's either Set Ringtone or Save Ringtone).    I misunderstood the process before and was saving the ringtone on my phone through Zune, but that doesn't work.  That puts the ringtone on your phone under the music folder, but doesn't allow you to set it as a ringtone.  Pam

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well now. I will have to try this out! I was also trying to email myself (to @vzpix.com) some tones and the "attachment would always be deleted. But I has auto download mms turned off. I will turn it on and gice it a whirl. Thanks guys and gals!

0 Likes