Replacement Phones for Kin2 are a JOKE!
purepowernetwork
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having a rather large family plan, with 5 lines - we spend a great deal of money with Verizon every year.  Many of our phones were up for renewal several months ago, which comes with the free upgrade.  Noting all the changes Verizon had with their data packages, we were very skeptical about renewing our contract, as we felt our bill was getting out of control.  We knew we were NOT getting a data plan, yet still wanted something more than just a basic beginner phone.  One thing changed our mind and one thing ONLY - The Kin Twom.  This phone had four features which KEPT us as Verizon Customers;  Eight gigabytes of storage, Zune Music Player, WiFi ability to snag internet from home/work connection, no data package needed.  Those four items inked the deal for another two years.

Now here we are, one by one, these phones are failing.  And it looks like each and every Kin that Verizon shipped out is failing.  Through no fault of the user - all hardware failures.

My problem is not with the fact that Verizon inked a deal with Sharp on garbage.  My problem is what they are doing with US - those that were suckered into these paperweights.  Those that keep them in business - the consumer.

How many of you that have had a Kin fail are now being forced to use a basic, feature-less phone?  I had an LG touchscreen phone shoved down my throat and can basically do nothing more than texting and making calls.  I have never been more disappointed in how I have been treated as a customer.  Refer to my four reasons for renewing my contract above.  ALL FOUR - gone.

Of course, the Verizon rep was kind enough to tell me that I could add a $30 data plan and get a smartphone.  Thanks for the info...

My daughters phone has failed and I know she will now meet the same fate as I - having a very nice phone taken out of her hands and having a basic phone substituted.  I'm weighing my options at this point, as nobody at Verizon wants to even work with us.  I have two lines that we never used the upgrades for.  I may just drop both of those two lines, drop down to the lowest plan I can get for the other three and just pay it off til my contract is up.  I don't want to pay the steep cancellation charges.  I'm certain that I could get more out of one of their competitors, or at least get "LISTENED TO".

I wonder how many others used their upgrades and renewed their contracts JUST for this phone...

MD

0 Likes
Re: Replacement Phones for Kin2 are a JOKE!
LMLois

I am having the exact same issue with my Kin OneM. I got it in August and LOVE it and tonight randomly it decided to black screen me. I can tell that it's turned on, but the screen won't change. I have tried countless battery pulls and all to no avail. I don't really want to go back to a BASIC basic phone because I've gotten used to the Zune and the 4 gb and radio and wi-fi. I'm not willing to pay $30/mo. for 2 gb of data though, so that limits my options....and every other phone is basically crap but what can I do? Prob will get the LG Extravert....that's why I renewed my contract and got my upgrade....I even bought cases for the phone two weeks before i got the phone. UGH I hope that we both get our phones working again. Let me know what you end up getting and how you like it please? Thanks!

LM

0 Likes
LMLois

I wanted to replace it finally with the Blackberry Social Messaging ready phone but the people online and in the store said I could only do that if I used someone else's upgrade, and since my mom's had issues with her Samsung Intensity, I didn't want her to be up the creek without a paddle, so I just ordered a replacement phone. Hopefully the issue will resolve itself, or I'll be going through a lot of these things in the next year and a half.

0 Likes
purepowernetwork
Enthusiast - Level 1

You may have better luck with the KinOne, but I assure you - there will be more and more people coming out of the woodwork to complain about the KinTwo's.  I mean come on, both phones go bad in our family within about a month of each other?  Two for two are pretty bad odds.  And let me forewarn all other KinTwo users - your replacement phone is gonna drop you back about 5 years.  At BEST, you will get the Cosmos Touch - AT BEST.  This is basically a featureless phone, with no storage, no wifi, no Zune.  You, like me, will be soooooooooooooooo disappointed.  My backside is black and blue from kicking myself in the a** from being suckered into another 2 years.  I am so disappointed that I may just pay the early termination fees on FIVE LINES just to get away from King Verizon.

dontbuyakinphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had to replace my Kin two for the third time in a year, they finally sent me an lg phone no back or charger, so i had to again complain until they finally replaced it with the cheapest, possible replacement they could come up with. Ive been a verizon customer for four years ...this will be it for me, the poor customer service during this whole nightmare with this kin two has done it. they have refused to take responsibility for their product or do anything to make it right.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi dontbuyakinphone,

A bad experience with a phone is certainly inconvenient; I apologize for all the difficulties you had with your Kin Two device. You are a valued customer and I would like to keep it this way.
Your post indicates that we have replaced with different phone model. Are you having any technical issues with your replacement phone? What LG model phone is it? I (and the forum community) can provide troubleshooting options to resolve any technical issues you have encountered with your replacement phone. We look forward to your reply so we can address your concerns.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
dontbuyakinphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

it is an lg extravert,, when I first decided to go with a kin two I beleived I was getting a smart phone with great features what i received was a phone that constantly dropped calls, had no access to apps, could not upload any of my contacts (so every time ive had to manually load all of my numbers, this being the third replacement due to hard ware issues) what I did like about it was the camara amd the wifi. the extravert is a nice phone for a teenager  it still drops calls constantly, it is very difficult to text on the little keypad, has a 2 mg pixel camera  😞 and no wifi. a good working phone is a requirement as I have to be on call every other week and having a phone ANY phone that drops calls in the middle of emergencys is of no use.

my co-workers have verizon and they do not have the reception issues that i keep having. i know i dont pay for a big data plan however i still pay around $65 a month for service on a contract and Im very dissapointed in the lack of consideration ive received trying to just have a reliable phone. I spent four days at work with my battery taped into the back of my phone because they forgot to send it, kind of humiliating for a supervisor.

the extravert was the only replacement phone offered as a kin two replacement and im very dissapointed in both phones the only resolution they offered was a $10 credit on my bill...not a decent reliable phone or any options take it or leave it customer service.

0 Likes
dwdowty
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're better off just buying a new (yes there are still new, unused ones) or manufacturer refurbished kin from a reputable dealer with a return policy from ebay.

Ebay is pretty much one of the last few bastions of good "basic" phones anymore.  And the kin has always been the best, after it came out in the "m" nondata version.  Even compared with the latest and greatest from the current vendor options.

0 Likes