Kink ONEm Questions...
LinkRS

Hello,

I am not sure if anyone here can answer these question, but I figure it won't hurt!  We are considering getting the new Kin ONEm for my wife to replace her current Motorola Q9m.  When the Kins came out this past April, I was eyeballing the ONE back then, but  then they pulled them.  She is not eligible for an upgrade until May of next year, so are now considering this one since it is only $119.  However, before we take the plunge, I had a couple questions.

Windows LIve Integration?  Does the ONEm "sync" with Hotmail?  In other words, if we import her current Outlook Calendar/Tasks into her Hotmail account, will it then be available on this device?

Games?  My wife plays the Solitaire game on her current phone to death.  In fact, she probably plays that more than any other thing on her Moto Q,  Does the ONEm have any pre-installed games?  I understand that there is no current method to install 3rd party apps onto this device.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Kink ONEm Questions...
sw_girl
Enthusiast - Level 3

hi!

I activated my kin ONEm yesterday. 

I like this phone a lot so far, it is way better than verizon's other feature phones -- if all you want it is for basic things like talking, texting, photos and music. the user interface is so pretty and the touchscreen works well. I've browsed the web a bit, and it's not as nice of an experience as using a smartphone, but it's still better than web browsing on verizon's other feature phones.

it does sync with hotmail, gmail, yahoo, and ....I'm not sure what else.

I am a little sad because kin no longer has the special facebook app. it was really cool and I'll miss it. (microsoft  wanted to get rid of their stock of phones, and to also have to support it as little as possible. that's why so many of the nifty apps were taken away.) I  wish they would make the facebook app available to  for those  who did decide to get a data plan, but it's not. you have to access facebook through the browser, so you'll get facebook's mobile version, which is kind of ugly.  but it's better than nothing!

it has a calendar, but you can't sync it with outlook unfortunately.

as far as I know, there are no games.

some other things I do like: if you do choose the $15/month data plan, you get 3G service. so that's good. it is also WiFi capable which is awesome. when I'm at home, it automatically detects my wifi, and uses it instead of my data plan.

also, remember that the music player is basically like the zune, so I look forward to using that. you can plug a standard pair of headphones into the kin. bonus for me: it has a great radio tuner!

so as a feature phone, I am pleased! my past phone was the pantech jest with a $10 data plan, and I HATED it. I never surfed the web on it, the experience was so clunky and ugly.  and don't even get me started on the stupid d-pad. the kin is better, hands down! 

that said, if you do want a lot of surfing  (which I really don't), I'd recommend holding out for a smartphone. I've played with the Droid, and Windows Phone 7. both are pretty awesome.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mizzblondie0789
0 Likes
LinkRS

Hi mizzblondie0789,

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, the manual (which I found the link to in the Microsoft Kin forms), makes no mention of either of my questions.  I assume that since the manual made no mention of any games,, that there are none.  The manual also talks about importing Contacts using Windows Live, but not about calendar or task info.  Which is why I posted here.  Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

Rich S.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I don't have the answers to your syncing questions, but I believe there are no games for the Kin, either preloaded or available for download.

0 Likes
sw_girl
Enthusiast - Level 3

hi!

I activated my kin ONEm yesterday. 

I like this phone a lot so far, it is way better than verizon's other feature phones -- if all you want it is for basic things like talking, texting, photos and music. the user interface is so pretty and the touchscreen works well. I've browsed the web a bit, and it's not as nice of an experience as using a smartphone, but it's still better than web browsing on verizon's other feature phones.

it does sync with hotmail, gmail, yahoo, and ....I'm not sure what else.

I am a little sad because kin no longer has the special facebook app. it was really cool and I'll miss it. (microsoft  wanted to get rid of their stock of phones, and to also have to support it as little as possible. that's why so many of the nifty apps were taken away.) I  wish they would make the facebook app available to  for those  who did decide to get a data plan, but it's not. you have to access facebook through the browser, so you'll get facebook's mobile version, which is kind of ugly.  but it's better than nothing!

it has a calendar, but you can't sync it with outlook unfortunately.

as far as I know, there are no games.

some other things I do like: if you do choose the $15/month data plan, you get 3G service. so that's good. it is also WiFi capable which is awesome. when I'm at home, it automatically detects my wifi, and uses it instead of my data plan.

also, remember that the music player is basically like the zune, so I look forward to using that. you can plug a standard pair of headphones into the kin. bonus for me: it has a great radio tuner!

so as a feature phone, I am pleased! my past phone was the pantech jest with a $10 data plan, and I HATED it. I never surfed the web on it, the experience was so clunky and ugly.  and don't even get me started on the stupid d-pad. the kin is better, hands down! 

that said, if you do want a lot of surfing  (which I really don't), I'd recommend holding out for a smartphone. I've played with the Droid, and Windows Phone 7. both are pretty awesome.

0 Likes
LinkRS

Hi sw_girl,

Thanks!  Your post was just what I was looking for, first hand experience (or a Verizon rep Smiley Happy ).

Rich S.

0 Likes
LinkRS

Hi SidneyK,

Thanks for the information.  That is what I thought, based on what I had been reading.  It really is a shame, as the OS on the Kin is a derivative of Windows CE, which is what both Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7 are based on.  It should not be all that difficult to port apps to it (assuming MS would allow it).  Thanks again!

Rich S.

0 Likes
hqdbeal

I heard in other places that you couldnt activate this phone on a family plan I was wondering if this was true o nit since I have the old connect plan

0 Likes
kinone

I just activated Onem on my family plan.

0 Likes
sw_girl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Rich,

shoot, I just realized something, you were asking before if it synced with hotmail accounts. I recently learned that you cannot upload  contacts or from the calendar (or at least, I do not know of a way). you can only read and reply to emails. I hope I didn't talk you into a phone you didn't want! 

0 Likes