Kin onem and Belkin router
ftkatyowser

has anyone has success getting thier Kin device to hook up to a belkin n150 router?  i just recieved mine in the mail and haven't been able to connect.

While I'm typing, how do you use wifi without the phone defaulting to data usage?  I like having a data plan but I'd like to use wifi wherever possible.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Kin onem and Belkin router
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

You probably need to experiment with your router settings.

The only N router I've tried to connect to was a Netgear N-300. It had three speed settings, 54mbps, 150mbps and 300mbps.  and the only one that I can connect to consistently is 54 -- not a surprise, because it appears that the KIN doesn't support the 802.11n standard, just the 802.11g, which has a maximum speed of 54mbps.

However, when I was first playing with the router, I was sometimes able to connect with the router set for "up to" 300 mbps as well. But I was never able to connect with the router set for 150.  I don't know anything about the n150 router, but from the name, it's possible that its maximum speed may be 150mbps.  So you may need to set it down to 54mbps in order for the KIN to talk to it.

If you already have 802.11n devices connected to your router, changing the setting will slow down their connection as well. But for most web use, you probably won't notice unless you do a lot of video streaming.

As for wanting to use WiFi whenever possible, I do the same thing. In fact, the KIN will default to WiFi whenever it's available. The trick is to make sure you've really got a WiFi connection. For more information on this, please see my post in the "Data and WiFi" topic at the following link:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN-1-2/data-and-wifi/td-p/608954

View solution in original post

0 Likes
RTFM
Contributor - Level 1

You probably need to experiment with your router settings.

The only N router I've tried to connect to was a Netgear N-300. It had three speed settings, 54mbps, 150mbps and 300mbps.  and the only one that I can connect to consistently is 54 -- not a surprise, because it appears that the KIN doesn't support the 802.11n standard, just the 802.11g, which has a maximum speed of 54mbps.

However, when I was first playing with the router, I was sometimes able to connect with the router set for "up to" 300 mbps as well. But I was never able to connect with the router set for 150.  I don't know anything about the n150 router, but from the name, it's possible that its maximum speed may be 150mbps.  So you may need to set it down to 54mbps in order for the KIN to talk to it.

If you already have 802.11n devices connected to your router, changing the setting will slow down their connection as well. But for most web use, you probably won't notice unless you do a lot of video streaming.

As for wanting to use WiFi whenever possible, I do the same thing. In fact, the KIN will default to WiFi whenever it's available. The trick is to make sure you've really got a WiFi connection. For more information on this, please see my post in the "Data and WiFi" topic at the following link:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/KIN-1-2/data-and-wifi/td-p/608954

0 Likes
ftkatyowser

Worked like a charm! Thanks so much! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes