Kin ONEM and TWOM Kin Relevance???
LinkRS

Hi Everone,

Since Microsoft has killed the cloud featurs of the KIN phones, is there any point in buying a ONEM or TWOM today??  I was considering the TWOM for my wife, as she just does e-mail, texts, and plays soliatire on her current device (Motorola Q9m).  We went to look at one in a VZW store, and were unable to find one, which makes it look like it is an online only product, which to me implies limited support.  As anyone here a new Kin owner/user, and how is it working for you?  I realize that it is now considerd a "Feature phone" as opposed to a "Smartphone,", but can you still surf the web and get e-mail with a data package, or are you limited to WiFi??  Thanks in advance!

Rich S.

0 Likes
Re: Kin ONEM and TWOM Kin Relevance???
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Yes, you can get this phone still with a data package. All feature phones still have the capability of getting data. HOWEVER: i would highly recommend against it, if you are getting a data package. There are so many smartphones out there that simply out-do this phone. If your wife is looking for something a little less capability-intensive, i would suggest the LG vortex or motorola citrus. Those are entry-level android phones that are still prominent and bug-free, but are on the simpler end.

The kin phones were released last july as smartphones, in the hopes that they'd compete with smartphones. You know what? they didn't. Their sales were so bad that they were pulled in 3 weeks. They simply are just inferior to any other smartphone out there. Plus, they have numerous bugs that you wonder 'why microsoft, did you not fix this?' The 1 single plus side of this phone is its 8 MP camera, and 720p HD video (compared to many higher-end smartphones, which only go up to 5; the mid-level and entry-level smartphones are around 3 mp), but that alone does not justify getting it if you have access to other smartphones. However, i am a satisfied owner of the Kin 2m, but that is because i do not have, nor want, nor can justify spending, for a data plan. As a feature phone, these kin phones are now the cream of the crop in my opinion, but if you even start to compare them to other smartphones (some of which can even be the same price, or cheaper than the kins, upon a new contract), they are just plain worse. That is why their sales failed the first time around; that folly is mostly Verizon's fault, pushing the requirement for a $30 data plan, for a phone that was marketed at teens that mostly have their parents paying for it, or can't afford a high-priced phone plan of their own. But now, it doesn't require a data plan, and that is truly the only point of getting the Kins. I like my phone, but i won't defend you getting it with a data plan. It is the only feature phone that even has wifi..that alone speaks for why i love it as a feature phone. add in the zune player, superior camera, and threaded messaging, those far outweigh its numerous bugs..as a feature phone.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Ive had it for a bit now, and I absolutely love my twoM. I have the ten dollar data plan and everything works perfect for me(just in case I want to cruise online while away from wifi). True, there are some nice smartphones out there, but you have to ask yourself, do you really need a phone that does a million, trillion things? Id rather have a phone like the Kin Twom that excels in texting, cruising online minimally(mostly wifi, facebook, stuff like that) and a killer zune player and even better camera!!!  Thats all I need out of a phone, and I get it with the twom.

0 Likes
aaronsaund
Enthusiast - Level 3

The more you use it, the more the flaws stick out. Continue using it and you will realize how broken and limited it is.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

aaronsaund wrote:

The more you use it, the more the flaws stick out. Continue using it and you will realize how broken and limited it is.

I highly doubt it, in fact, Ill be getting a second one for my wife very soon. Some of the basics its missing (like forwarding texts) doesnt bother me, especially since I have threaded texts and other features. Again, Im not looking for a smartphone at a feature phone price, or what many others might have been looking for.  I wanted a zune player for syncing with my pc, I wanted a touch screen , a killer camera and access to my favorite social sites. Unless the phone stops giving me these, then I have nothing to worry about. If I wanna play games, I have a xbox. If I wanna use office or excel, Ill use my computer. I just want a device that is simple, easy, and keeps me connected to the people I know and love. And the kin does that, easily.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

Right on, daveman. I'm completely satisfied with my Kin 2m, it is a phone. I have a computer for other uses. And i don't want the distractions of being 'plugged in' 24/7 anyways. And on top of htat, i don't pay the extra $30/month. A phone is a phone, and that's all i need it for. The wifi is bonus, the camera is a big bonus, and really is the only extra feature i use regularly on top of calls and texting, i never have my camera with me, so having this with me all the time, i can take pics and vids whenever, at a great quality. The camera's quality is better than some actual cameras even. True, it does poorly in low light, but i don't think i'll be taking the 'memorable' pictures with a phone camera..it's jsut those spur of the moment, 'i don't have my camera' pictures.

Broken and limited? depends on what you compare it to. To a smartphone? yes. Do i need a smartphone (or want to pay for it)? no. Everyone's wants and needs are different, but this fits mine perfectly.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Exactly FISH!  One of the other things I love about this phone is that if I chose to, i could get the zune pass with the KIN and download all the music I want for 15 dollars a month, which I have easily by saving on the 30+ it would cost to have a smartphone. I, like you, also didnt want nor need a device that I would be on 24/7. I see my friends with smartphones and they practically LIVE on their phones. Thats just not my lifestyle.  I wanted a phone that I could go from the office, to the gym and if I got a call, I could talk or text during my workout while jamming out to tunes. Also, i wanted a good camera because many times we forget our camera too, and with this one on the phone, i always have a way of taking a great picture. Outside pics are phenominal!  Out of many phones Ive owned, this one is clearly my favorite. I love the UI the most. Also texting? This phone was BUILT to message. It works so great, and the dedicated smileys is a nice touch!

0 Likes
aaronsaund
Enthusiast - Level 3

I love the Zune interface and was extremely excited about the player in the phone. I even signge dup for the Zune pass (it's really good value). Unfortunately, the sound quality is terrible. It's not the music either. It's the phone. No where near as comparable as any other mp3 player I've used which includes creative, ipod touch, and cheap $20-30 off brand devices.

0 Likes
jackfu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dave and Fish, I also concur. From what I've seen on different forums, these phones are becoming more popular, at least as "cult" phones or at best as a great alternative to smart phones for those who don't want/need data plans. I believe this phone will be solved soon with or without MS's help if for no other reason but the challenge it presents. Some folks are pursuing this aggressively. Even if they don't succeed, I will continue to use the phone.

As to pics, my experience is that it does great with stationary subjects, even better close-in (almost macro). At portrait and longer ranges, images sometimes aren't as clearly focused, I believe due to a high level of sensitivity to motion from the user or from the subject. The key to my success has been patience. The camera is fairly slow, so I have to use both hands and hold steady for longer than with an equivalent digital camera, and not anticipate a quick camera response.

0 Likes
Daveman80
Contributor - Level 1

Have you played with any of the equlizer settings for the zune player? I have and mine sounds clear, crisp and of very high quality!  Ive gotten nothing but the best sound out of zune players, and my brother agreed it sounded much better than his ipod, on both my phone and my zune player.

0 Likes