Checking Data Usage
KeepOnSingin

I have data blocked on my phone (or so the sales rep said), and I just want to double check that I'm not using any...I go check online, right? Is it under usage?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Checking Data Usage
michaelslw
Enthusiast - Level 3

or you can call "#DATA" which means dial #3282

then vzw will send you a FREE txt with your data usage listed.

0 Likes
KeepOnSingin

michaelslw wrote:

or you can call "#DATA" which means dial #3282

then vzw will send you a FREE txt with your data usage listed.

Cool, thanks!

Do you know how often it's updated? I figured out where it was online and it said that the information was currently unavailable, and then when I called it say the records show now MB usage, but I haven't yet tried using the wifi without airplane mode on.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

From what i remember, it is updated a few times a day, so very 5 or so hours. Checking online, i also got the 'currently unavailable' box. Before i disabled data (when i purchased this phone), it would still show the data usage, but now that box is completely gone, so i believe that is a way to check if it has been disabled properly.

I have been connecting throug wifi without airplane mode, and just the data block (with MMS still working), and after 4 days, i have not incurred any data charges. For the month, it says we have used .319 MB across our family plan, but that was tehre before i purchased this phone. This was from the verizon store downloading backup assist onto all of our old devices, and transferring the contacts. Wonder why they charge for downloading their own app...but what can you do about it. The important part is, we have not recorded a single MB of data since purchasing the Kin Twom.

0 Likes
KeepOnSingin

Do you know how to make sure 100% that data is blocked?

0 Likes
dstor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been getting The "Usage not available at this time, check later" message. I have tried to get this resolved through emailing support, They keep telling the problem is on my end (broswer, cookies, cache etc...which is a load of crude.) I am wanting to keep track that my data block is in effect as well, I had it blocked and somehow ended up with data usage...and I was on my WiFi network at home..soI suggest keep checking your usage and keep Verizon honest.

0 Likes
fisharefriends
Contributor - Level 3

The main way to check if it is 100% blocked..is check the bill at the end of the month. So, if you are super cautious, just don't use the internet for the first month, except for a test here and there, and see if you have any charges.

Also, try opening the browser and browsing through some sites (although simple ones like google have their pages stored in the memory cache, so they will still load..search something and it will look for  anew page), and if nothing loads, then you have successfully blocked data.

I also got the 'cannot be loaded at this time' message, and i think that is because when you block data, in verizon's systems, it disables the data check, thus removing the box (it is not your browser..i am using the same browser as i did before i got this phone and blocked data, and that box was there before..). Calling #3282 (#DATA) will show your data usage, even if it doesn't show up properly online (it will send you a free text).

0 Likes
KeepOnSingin

I don't get the bill, my parents do...and I'm sure if there's data usage, I'll hear about it! But I don't want to have a phone capable of wifi and not be able to use it, ya know? 

But I tried to connect to the internet without being connected to wifi, and it came up saying "This page cannot be displayed" so I think I'm safe.

I also called #DATA and it said that I have no KB usage.

0 Likes