Will I be able to use a PC and Roku in an RV?
Kulliman

All I have is an iPhone, a PC without WiFi, and a Roku box (hooked up to a TV) that I am going to want to use on the road in my conversion trailer/RV. The PC will be about 10 feet away from the Roku/TV unit. Besides the Jetpack MiFi device, what else will I need to connect to the Jetpack and how do I do it? I am also wondering about any boosters I might need since I will be in a metal box and not real close to towers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using PC and Roku in RV
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

iPhone can use its normal WiFi feature to connect to the Jetpack.  No concerns here.

To connect the PC without WiFi you will need to purchase a WiFi USB Adapter. These are pretty cheap and require you to install drivers on the PC for it to work correctly.  All you need is an open USB slow on the PC and will be good to go.

The Roku box would need a WiFi connection to the Jetpack as well.  Depending on which Roku model you have this may or may not be an option for you.  The newer Rokus come with WiFi by default and the more expensive models come with Ethernet cables too.  Should be able to make this one work with the Jetpack unless it does not happen to have a WiFi feature built in.

The TV does not need to be connected to the MiFi unless you have some other TV specific apps that require data connections to function correctly.  Chances are you will use the Roku instead anyways.

Regarding boosters that will depend on where you plan to be when accessing Verizon. You can use the Verizon coverage locator map to get an idea if your destinations have full 4G LTE coverage or not.  Combine this with information on public tower finding websites to get an idea where the closest towers will be.  From there try to place your Jetpack near a window facing that tower.  However, be cautions not to place the Jetpack in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time as this will trigger overheating and decrease the performance of the device significantly.

You may want to check with your destinations to see if they have made any accommodations for Verizon signals.  Businesses can purchase their own Enterprise Extenders, repeaters and amplifiers kits if they wished to do so.  In that case you may not have to worry about any additional equipment in that location.

Otherwise if you want to explore purchasing an external powered amplifier kit then look into Wilson Electronics / Weboost: https://www.weboost.com/.  Budget is normally the most limiting factor in regards to which model is feasible for you.  These devices are not cheap.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

iPhone can use its normal WiFi feature to connect to the Jetpack.  No concerns here.

To connect the PC without WiFi you will need to purchase a WiFi USB Adapter. These are pretty cheap and require you to install drivers on the PC for it to work correctly.  All you need is an open USB slow on the PC and will be good to go.

The Roku box would need a WiFi connection to the Jetpack as well.  Depending on which Roku model you have this may or may not be an option for you.  The newer Rokus come with WiFi by default and the more expensive models come with Ethernet cables too.  Should be able to make this one work with the Jetpack unless it does not happen to have a WiFi feature built in.

The TV does not need to be connected to the MiFi unless you have some other TV specific apps that require data connections to function correctly.  Chances are you will use the Roku instead anyways.

Regarding boosters that will depend on where you plan to be when accessing Verizon. You can use the Verizon coverage locator map to get an idea if your destinations have full 4G LTE coverage or not.  Combine this with information on public tower finding websites to get an idea where the closest towers will be.  From there try to place your Jetpack near a window facing that tower.  However, be cautions not to place the Jetpack in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time as this will trigger overheating and decrease the performance of the device significantly.

You may want to check with your destinations to see if they have made any accommodations for Verizon signals.  Businesses can purchase their own Enterprise Extenders, repeaters and amplifiers kits if they wished to do so.  In that case you may not have to worry about any additional equipment in that location.

Otherwise if you want to explore purchasing an external powered amplifier kit then look into Wilson Electronics / Weboost: https://www.weboost.com/.  Budget is normally the most limiting factor in regards to which model is feasible for you.  These devices are not cheap.

0 Likes
Kulliman

Excellent!! Thanks so much for that information!

0 Likes