Why can't my Jetpack 5510L connected devices communicate with each other?
herzog3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

But Wi-Fi privacy separation is disabled. Tried multiple ports no luck.

Thanks for any info.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Jetpack 5510L connected devices cannot communicate with each other.
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Got my hands on a 5510 recently and checked out this scenario for you.

I connected a tablet and a smartphone to the 5510 and used the PingTools app to test connectivity between them.  Using their Ping feature I was able to ping from 192.168.1.2 (tablet) to 192.168.1.3 (phone) and vice versa.  Pinging was no problem for me in this situation.  The trace and subnet scan feature worked without problems too.

According to your statements the 5510 should be blocking all communication but my ICMP checks with various tools all appear to be responding.  Thus I didn't test further with true file sharing or any other protocols.

I also confirmed that this Jetpack is using firmware version 1.34.23 which is dated from 02/08/14.  Its a little out of date so perhaps you are running with a newer version where the client isolation feature is broken.

Otherwise I would say to try a level 3 reset by pressing the restore defaults button under the back cover.  Set the device back to defaults and test communication in that scenario.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to get this resolve this for you! What exactly were you attempting to do with the devices communicating with eachother? Which devices are you connecting to the Jetpack?

TylerK_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
herzog3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two machines (Windows 8, 10) that can ping, RDP, etc. with each other just fine on our home wireless network. However when on the Jetpack the two machines have zero visibility with each other (can access the internet just fine) even though they are on the same subnet with confirmed adjacent IPs. Clearing the privacy separation setting makes no difference.

Thanks for your quick response. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  Clearing the privacy separation setting makes no difference.

I'm thinking this is the root of the problem.  Its common for many home APs to use a client isolation feature that disables direct communication with each other, especially for what is considered a "guest network" feature.  While I'm not specifically aware of this as the default setting on any Jetpacks perhaps the 5510 is configured that way.  If I can get some I can try to recreate this scenario with one of my 5510s and confirm.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Got my hands on a 5510 recently and checked out this scenario for you.

I connected a tablet and a smartphone to the 5510 and used the PingTools app to test connectivity between them.  Using their Ping feature I was able to ping from 192.168.1.2 (tablet) to 192.168.1.3 (phone) and vice versa.  Pinging was no problem for me in this situation.  The trace and subnet scan feature worked without problems too.

According to your statements the 5510 should be blocking all communication but my ICMP checks with various tools all appear to be responding.  Thus I didn't test further with true file sharing or any other protocols.

I also confirmed that this Jetpack is using firmware version 1.34.23 which is dated from 02/08/14.  Its a little out of date so perhaps you are running with a newer version where the client isolation feature is broken.

Otherwise I would say to try a level 3 reset by pressing the restore defaults button under the back cover.  Set the device back to defaults and test communication in that scenario.

herzog3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will try your suggestion tonight and respond here with the results and my firmware version as well. Thanks again for the help!

0 Likes
herzog3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Confirmed version is 1.34.23 which is the latest as you mentioned. Performed the reset and then recreated the local wifi settings on machines connecting through the Jetpack. Everything began to work. I realized that the initial setup of those machines were configured to block local traffic when connecting to the hotspot.

I feel dumb but glad it's working.

Thanks for your help!

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Excellent news, thanks for the confirmation!

To better assist future readers be sure to mark one of the posts as a solution.  That way others can quickly find the steps or suggestions that helped you resolve your problem.

herzog3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately cannot mark your earlier reply as a solution but it most definitely is. Action is not available.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The "Action" pop menu is available on the desktop view of the community. The mark as answer should be available under the menu.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.