USB 730L not recognized with Catalina (Mac OS 10.15.2)
lfmeadow

The USB730L is a usb stick with 4G data. It worked fine until I got a new macbook with Catalina. Now the device connects fine according to the lights, and shows up in System Report as a "MIFI USB73L" aka Novatel Wireless Product ID #9030, but it doesn't show up as a network device.

Further I can't install the Verizon VZAccess software on Catalina, it is not compatible whatever that means. Maybe it's 32-bit.

Verizon chat support was no help, kept asking irrelevant questions ("Are you in California? Is this an iPhone?")

So shall I just dump this device and get one that's supported? Or are there any plans to fix the drivers so they work with Catalina.

I'm really unhappy with Apple, they broke a ton of stuff. I guess I didn't really expect Verizon tech support to understand the problem.

-- Larry

0 Likes
Re: USB 730L not recognized with Catalina (Mac OS 10.15.2)
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

USB devices can only work if there are USB drivers.  No drivers, no devices.  OS updates normally require updated drivers to function correctly.  VZW and hardware manufacturers cut off support of all newer OSs at some point.  This is a major limitation to USB modems in the current environment where major OS updated occur every 6-9 months.

All of the current software/driver options are posted here:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-global-usb-modem-usb730l/

You will have to decide if it is better for your situation to wait and hope for driver development or purchase a newer device that is already supported.

Alternatives to USB modems include: 

- VZW 4G LTE Router 

- Get a home router with USB modem support for your USB modem

- VZW Jetpack

With these options, all your MacOS needs is access to WiFi.  No driver support is necessary (other than on a compatible home router, but router OSs do not change very often)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lfmeadow, we understand wanting the device to work with your current operating system. Unfortunately, we cannot make a device compatible with Apple's IOS. You can check here http://www.vzam.net/download/requirements.aspx for system requirements and supported device information.

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
jerrythea

For what it's worth, my older Verizon MiFi Device USB620L works without issues.

I also confirmed that the drivers for the USB730L are active, and not black-listed, by MacOS.

There seems to be some bugs in the driver implementation for the 730L.

The 730L works out of the box on a Lenovo system running Linux.

Is there any way to file a bug, or getting any real details, from the developers???

0 Likes
jerrythea

As far as the 'official' Verizon requirements, all it says is that MacOS 10.8 or newer is required.

Pretty much useless......

0 Likes
jerrythea

I was actually able to get a hold of the developer's of the drivers (Inseego Corp).

I was able to create a case with them, and they were going to provide an official statement on the support of MacOS.

It sounds like the device is only meant to support Windows and Linux.

Once I get an official word, I will update the community.

If this turns out to be the case, Verizon Wireless will need to update their documents and sales literature.

It the device is meant to support MacOS, Verizon Wireless may have to lean on Inseego.

0 Likes
jerrythea

Another data point, which is very discouraging.

Probably going to be returning the device.

Are you listening Verizon:

Booted in latest Windows 10 Pro, native Bootcamp boot.

Modem continually connects/disconnects.

Same exact issue as on MacOS.

So, not an OS issue, but some sort of USB driver/hardware incompatiblity.

Works fine on a Lenovo under Linux, but this is pretty much useless.

0 Likes
jerrythea

The older USB620 works fine in all scenarios (macOS, Windows, Lenovo).

0 Likes
jerrythea

ok, finally hit the root cause.

It is an issue of power delivery.

When plugged into an external, separately powered, USB hub, there are no issues.

The clue had to do with the fact that this issue occurred on both Windows and macOS, only thing in common was the hardware.

In System Profiler, while the dongle remains active, it indicates power delivery of 500A, and required 500A.

I suspect the dongle needs a bit more than 500A.

0 Likes
jerrythea

SUCCESS! Ugly, but workable.

Plugging a CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini into MacBook Pro (No additional power source required).

Plug MiF into Caldigit, the USB device is able to maintain required power and functions well.

I think we can probably blame Apple for this one, not Verizon.

I am going to file a bug with Apple to see if that goes anywhere.

0 Likes