Strong signal, slow speeds (8800L)
Franz_kerekes

I have full bars, but I only get ~1Mbps up and down on my 8800L. What gives?

0 Likes
Re: Strong signal, slow speeds (8800L)
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Does your device say that it is connected to 4G LTE at the time?

Normal Jetpack troubleshooting includes teh following resets:

1. Reboot

2. Reseat the SIM card while powered off

3. Reset the Jetpack to the defaults while powered on

Feel free to try the various resets and see if they have an impact on your situation.

0 Likes
laurenc_vzw
Verizon Employee

It's important to have data speeds that you can rely on, Franz_kerekes. We're glad to help with your device
concerns. What's your zip code? When did you start experiencing an issue with data speeds? Is this happening at a particular location? Do you have any other Verizon devices? If so, are you able to use data on your other device(s)?

LaurenC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the
Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Franz_kerekes

Hi John,

Yes, the device says it is connected to 4G LTE. I tried all 3 steps you recommended and didn't see any appreciable difference in performance.

Thanks,

Franz

0 Likes
Franz_kerekes

Hi Lauren,

My zip code is 90731. Speed issue was a problem from the day I activated the account last month, although it is limited to my home location. Performance at the retail store ~20 mi away was excellent, while it is extremely slow all around my neighborhood.

I do not have any other Verizon devices but I do have devices from two other providers that do not have issues (at least ~10x faster than what I'm getting from the jet pack).

Thanks,

Franz

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

There are two other common explanations for slow performance:

- You hit the soft cap with your Verizon unlimited account and are being optimized at various locations and times of the day

- The problem is geographically isolated to one area.  The problem only occurs in this area as a result of a problem with the tower or local interference.

Check your data plan and confirm what the current usage is.  I believe VZW optimizes accounts once they hit 22GB by default.

Try your device in other areas and confirm the performance.  If the problem follows you around then it is something on the Jetpack, if not then it is something with the towers in that area.  Compare results with a 2nd Verizon device such as yours or a friends Verizon phone.  See if they perform differently or not in the same areas.

If no soft cap, is isolated to your VZW jetpack and the problem follows you around everywhere you go then contact VZW support for warranty replacement options.  Try a new device and see if the problem goes away.

0 Likes
ncskaar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does "optimizes accounts" mean that Verizon slows down the data rate?  Use words that convey the real effect, not language that makes it sound like something good for the customer.

KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you to experience issues with your service, ncskaar. Let's investigate what's going on. What is the make and model device that you're using? What city is this happening in, and a nearby intersection?

LynnE_VZW

0 Likes