Running MIFI7730L with out battery
KENOHUDSON

How do you run the MIFI7730L with out the battery.  I have tried pulling the battery out while it is on and it immediately shuts down.  I tried taking the battery out and it runs through its initialization and then says no battery and shuts down. 

0 Likes
Re: Running MIFI7730L with out battery
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sounds like the MiFi 7730L does not work without a battery.

May we ask what your objective is with this request?  Perhaps there is a better way to accomplish your goal than just pulling the battery.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KENOHUDSON,

We definitely understand wanting to have the freedom to use your Mifi without the battery. Unfortunately the battery is required for operation, even if the device is plugged in and charging. We hope this helps.

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Magpie13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same question, but will explain why I'm asking.  The 7730L has battery issues.  I have two of this model and both are suffering a swollen battery much sooner than IMO it should.  My Netgear (2 different models) hotspots stay plugged in 24/7 and after 2 years are showing no signs of swelling or other battery problems.  At least these will run without a battery if desired to do so...and will reboot if they lose power...2 things the Novatel should do.

Anyway, the Novatel will not run without a battery (why is beyond me...Netgear has this figured out and as a hotspot, this should be an option.  Also as an option, should be that the hotspot should reboot if it were to lose power, run down to the point of shutting off, and then if power were to return, restart if that is how you wanted it configured.  Shame Verizon makes such an inferior product.

So, since Novatel has chosen to require a battery, there are hacks out there that will make it possible to fake a battery (basically removing the guts of the battery, but leaving the connectors and the frame).  Only problem with this is that were power ever to be lost, even for a second, the jetpack would shutdown and require a physical presence to reatart it.  I use Verizon for my internet in my vacation home and need it to run my security system, smart-home devices, etc.  Hate that Verizon makes me regret having to use the Jetpacks it offers.  Comparing these to my prior two ATT hotspots (Netgear Unite Explore and Netgear Nighthawk) is like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.  Shame shame Verizon for offering such garbage hotspot devices from what otherwise is the best cellular service provider.

Cslacko888
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well said!!!  I really don’t need a battery in my WiFi 

musicdoctordj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes...

I'm on my fourth battery in a year and now it won't charge this brand new battery.

For now it is running with the battery in it and is not heating up the battery, but I still wish there was a way to use this without these inferior batteries that don't even last three weeks!

By the way, Verizon can't even sell you a battery, so we we have to go to off-brand batteries.

0 Likes
Magpie13
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

KENOHUDSON,

We definitely understand wanting to have the freedom to use your Mifi without the battery. Unfortunately the battery is required for operation, even if the device is plugged in and charging. We hope this helps.

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Typical of what I've come to expect from Verizon customer support...to paraphrase:  "Yeah, we see something that should work better...so, uh, terrible to be you, customer".  Rather than..."gee, that is a great idea...and look, our competition is doing much better than we are, so here, let me forward this UP the chain of command to let them know they need to get our collective butt in gear and make a worthwhile product".  

robertstrauch
Enthusiast - Level 2

A lot of people have this problem.  However, when I talk to support, they say that they've never heard of batteries swelling and hotspots overheating.

I will find a hack.  My son thinks that if you can gut the battery without destroying the case, it will work.  I am thinking that you can use wire to connect the circut.  When I find a hack, I will post it.  You might want to keep an eye, because if the Verizon people see a hack, they will probably delete the post, claiming that you will burn down your house or something.   I am thinking that their overheating hotspots might burn down someone's house......

robertstrauch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not the same device, but look:

What you might be able to do is to remove the board from the battery, and place it against the pins where the battery touches.

I've no experience with that particular device, but I have one that had a swollen battery and I was able to remove the plastic covering from the battery, and found that it was just a small circuit board that plugged into the cells in the battery.

I unplugged the circuit board, and pressed it against the pins in the modem, and it runs (It always shows a charging icon, but it works). I had to use a couple of small dowels to hold the circuit board firmly against the pins.

You'll have to open the battery carefully so that you don't break the cells inside, but it should be simple to do.

ALSO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfHnvyB7V0s

0 Likes
robertstrauch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Cspire has better service and customer service.  Verizon just has a closer tower, and I live in a rural area with a lot of trees, so I need to use Verizon's service and lame device.

0 Likes