Mifi 8800L Won't update software and always reports "Data usage info is not available at this time"
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I replaced my 7730L Jetpack with the 8800L Jetpack I've been unable to obtain data usage on the devices itself -- it always responds "Data usage info is not available at this time". I can see there is a software update available for the 8800L, but the device responds it is unable to download the update. Is there any way to 1) force a software update or 2) re-initiate the device so the Verizon network correctly handles these administrative functions? Network access for normal data transfers seems to operate normally -- except for occasional re-connections.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Correct answers
Re: Mifi 8800L Won't update software and always reports
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

When attempting to check for software updates from either the 8800L device menu or the web admin interface the response is always

"Something Went Wrong" [Jetpack menu] or

"Unable to check for updates." [Admin web interface]

"Sorry, we had trouble checking for system updates. This may be because your connection was interrupted. You can check your network connection and try again." [both]

When attempting to check data usage for either the 8800L device menus or the web admin interface the response is always

"Data usage info is not available at this time."

I can get the data usage from the MyVerizon web pages, but not from the 8800L.

The 8800L menus show SW Version "1S" and Last check for update "Never".

This has been the case since I upgraded from a 7730L Jetpack to the current 8800L Jetpack. Never had these problems before upgrading.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

The "CORRECT ANSWER" turned out to be a SIM card replacement. Verizon tech support was very patient, helpful and eventually authorized a SIM card replacement at a local corporate Verizon store, which resolved the problem. However, the local store staff was unable to reconnect the device to my data plan, requiring another Verizon tech support call. At least the local store was able to replace the SIM card.

I can now access Data Usage information from the device and have successfully updated the 8800L software to the latest level.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Mifi 8800L Won't update software and always reports "Data usage info is not available at this time"
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

I backed up the 8800L settings and tried a factory reset (from the admin web page interface) today. Prior to restoring settings: still unable to update software; still unable to access data usage from the device. Successfully restored the 8800L settings, but still no go on these particular admin functions.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update but sorry to learn of the issues you are experiencing. Are you getting any specific error codes associated with the process when trying to update the software? Are you stating that you are having issues when using the Administrative Site? Looking forward to hearing back.

0 Likes
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

When attempting to check for software updates from either the 8800L device menu or the web admin interface the response is always

"Something Went Wrong" [Jetpack menu] or

"Unable to check for updates." [Admin web interface]

"Sorry, we had trouble checking for system updates. This may be because your connection was interrupted. You can check your network connection and try again." [both]

When attempting to check data usage for either the 8800L device menus or the web admin interface the response is always

"Data usage info is not available at this time."

I can get the data usage from the MyVerizon web pages, but not from the 8800L.

The 8800L menus show SW Version "1S" and Last check for update "Never".

This has been the case since I upgraded from a 7730L Jetpack to the current 8800L Jetpack. Never had these problems before upgrading.

0 Likes
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Meant to edit reply to say this has been going on for over a month at a variety of locations -- i.e., different towers -- in the vicinity of the 57702 ZIP code area. [Should not have clicked on the Correct Answer button]

0 Likes
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are the 8800L log entries for a 1) software update check and 2) a data usage check.

Aug 13 14:59:10 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv4 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:209!!
Aug 13 14:59:10 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv6 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:211!!
Aug 13 14:59:12 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv4 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:209!!
Aug 13 14:59:12 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv6 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:211!!

Aug 13 14:59:16 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv4 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:209!!
Aug 13 14:59:16 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv6 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:211!!
Aug 13 14:59:22 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv4 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:209!!
Aug 13 14:59:22 (none) modem2d: [MDM_MAIN]:[err] - {mifios_wanevent}: DM IPv6 call failed, handle:0 end_reason:1, verbose end_reason:211!!

0 Likes
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

The "CORRECT ANSWER" turned out to be a SIM card replacement. Verizon tech support was very patient, helpful and eventually authorized a SIM card replacement at a local corporate Verizon store, which resolved the problem. However, the local store staff was unable to reconnect the device to my data plan, requiring another Verizon tech support call. At least the local store was able to replace the SIM card.

I can now access Data Usage information from the device and have successfully updated the 8800L software to the latest level.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is for your MiFi to work correctly. To clarify, did you pick up a new SIM card?

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
tchar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the SIM card was replaced at a local corporate Verizon store.

0 Likes