Jetpack bad data usage calculations continue
BrentOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

while sitting on tech support hold for past 25 minutes... (unbelievable tech service quality) i checked the forums info on jetpack and was surprised similar problems.

My jetpack while turned off is using 1.8GB of data. I turned my mifi on to check data usage and zero devices connected used another half gig.

Buyer beware that verizon appears to have problems with data calculation on the mifi devices.

Got generic answer that its updates to phone IOS or laptops. or questions if someone has my password to access. I have zero devices connected.

I also live on a 50 acre ranch.

I have 2 smartphones that i hot spot off of both, stream music, tv shows and vpn over.. using those 10x the amount of time that I have used my mifi and my usage is near 7G. My mifi is exceeding 15G even when turned off. Something wrong.

I am going to request a new SIM to see if this helps.

Anyone else have any luck with anything else? having zero devices connected and still raking up usage is unacceptable?

Tags (1)
Re: Jetpack bad data usage calculations continue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you are taken care of. We understand your concern. You mentioned living in large area. It could be the usage you are seeing is delayed. The usage your device are accumulating could be larger but not registering in a nearby tower until a later time. Are you able to read the amount of data normally used by the connected devices? Does it match what the Jetpack uses?

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

BrentOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

Accumulating what data? There are zero devices connected to it, yet it continues to use data. The only item that could connect is a roku which remains off and a network capable printer that remains off. All other devices are configured not to connect to the mifi. A jet pack is essentially a router with text capabilities. As for a large area, please explain how that would apply? Both my pixel, and iPhone that are acting as hot spots in the same space. The house we are living in is under 1000 SF. Those phones data usage are fairly normal.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Data usage when the Jetpack is turned off is a sign of a data reporting problem on Verizons side or a compromised device.  You should be able to work with Verizon to get compensated if there is a data reporting problem.  For a compromised device you will have to review the options available to swap the MiFI, account, SIM or anything else that VZW can offer to restore to you a secure connection.

Keep pressing VZW on this.  There is a small amount of delay in some scenarios when it comes to data reporting.  Especially if you are in an extended usage area the delays can be somewhat extreme compared to normal full Verizon 4G LTE service areas.  This has to do with the contracts VZW sets up with the local tower owners and how those owners decided to deliver the billable data information back to VZW.  However, if you are in a full and normal 4G the delay should be no more than an hour.  Leave the device offline for a few hours and observe the data usage.  There is no excuse for data usage when the Jetpack is powered off.

I see you mentioning having zero devices connected to the Jetpack, ignore that for now as that is not as easy to prove as the Jetpack being powered off or not.  Back up your statements by turning on the diagnostic logs on the Jetpack.  Confirm in the logs when the Jetpack is powered on and off and cross reference those timestamps with the data sessions recorded for your account.

BrentOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the tips John, the logs so far are showing connection pulling large data chunks in the middle of the night when the mifi device is turned off.

The last check we jumped 15G overnight (while off).

I have all the devices in our house identified so I know what is connecting to it and what is not.

Not easy to figure out the wlan data usage because it does not indicate the device, however I can see what devices are connected during those time frames when Logs are on.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Keep trying Verizon and hammering on the fact that your Jetpack is turned off when the Verizon logs are claiming you are using data.  There is either a billing problem that they should correct or some other details about delayed billing and agreements with the local tower owners that we sometimes hear about in extended service areas.  If there is no extended service in your area then this one should be a pretty clear sign of a billing mistake on Verizon's end.

Share any more details you can learn from Verizon with us.  Will do our best to help but this is a matter you need to settle with them.

casagallo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same problem.  We have the unlimited plan on all our devices but after 20 GB on each device the speed is slowed down.  Last month data from the Jetpack slowed to almost nothing!  The Jetpack showed we had used almost 60 GB, which is ridiculous.  The data reset during the night of 12/28/17 to 0.00.  We left town the morning of the 29th and returned the evening of the 3rd of Jan.  When I turned on the Jetpack, it showed we had used 17.4 GB -- while the Jetpack and computers were turned off!   I just left my local Verizon store.  The clerk checked my total usage for all devices -showed just over 1 GB.  The Jetpack shows 17.4, and obviously the speed is slowed by the reading on the Jetpack, not the actual usage.  She tried resetting the Jetpack software but no change.  Therefore, she assumes it is a hardware problem and ordered a new Jetpack at no charge.  I should receive it in a couple of days and we'll see how that goes.  Hope this helps.

MARUPR44
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have 2 Jetpacks, one for each of our PCs. About 6 months ago, we were consistently getting an error message on Day 14 of our cycle that EACH Jetpack had used its data limit for 4G and we were going to the slower speed.  We have been retired for more than 5 years, and our computer usage hasn't changed. I was told that Windows might be running some background program, and is surreptitiously using data. I had both computers checked (to the tune of $200), and there are no programs running.  Even with the computers turned off, there has been data usage recorded.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a scam.  Unfortunately, we live in an area where there are no services other than satellite-based services. In the past, purchasing new Jetpacks has resolved the problem, but the sales person at our local store was rather rude this time and told me not to bother.  Very FRUSTRATING!

MARUPR44
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same for us.  When I checked data usage after the new cycle began, we had used over 2GB, despite neither of us using our computers!!!

JEFCOL87
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue. Mine is recording the same kind of data usage and it’s powered down. Have tried contacting custome Svc to no avail. If this continues I’m just going to cancel it out.