Jetpack Data
MARDEF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I got my mom a Jetpack several months ago. She lives in a rural area, and it seemed like the best option. It is eating data like crazy. I keep upping my data and have bought boosts on top of that. As soon as I buy a boost, I get a text saying I'm near the limit. I have disabled automatic Windows updates. I I have told my mom to turn it off at night and to not connect her phone or tablet to Wifi. I ensured  "metered usage." I changed the password to ensure no one else is using it. She does not stream or game. She's 79, for heaven's sake. She uses Facebook and shops on Amazon. That's it.  I am seriously at my wit's end. My monthly bill is absolutely killing me.

What could be causing this? I need a solution, not just a canned Verizon message saying, "We understand your concern blah blah blah." Verizon tech support has been useless. Does anyone else live in a rural area? If so, what Wifi carrier do you use? I've been a loyal Verizon customer for many many years and, unless I can get this issue resolved, I'm switching to another provider. Oh, and no, I'm not going with the unlimited data plan. It's super expensive and, from what I understand, much slower. 1 gig used to be enough for 3 phones and a tablet. Now that I've added the Jetpack, I buy 8 gigs and we hit the limit with about 2 weeks left in the billing cycle.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Can anyone give give me some advice? Does anyone have a suggestion other than Verizon? I appreciate any advice from anyone, other than Verizon as they have been useless. I'm not exactly a techie, but I know something is bad wrong. Very bad wrong.

Thank you

Re: Jetpack Data
stef7
Master - Level 2

You're providing access to the internet for your mom. From the webpage for the device:

With Beyond Unlimited, you get a 15 GB allowance of data at 4G LTE speeds for Mobile Hotspot each billing cycle. Once you've used the 15 GB of 4G LTE data, your Mobile Hotspot data speed will be reduced to up to 600 Kbps speeds for the rest of the billing cycle. You can purchase a data boost on a line for 5 GB more of 4G LTE speeds for Mobile Hotspot each month. Limit 1 data boost per line per bill cycle.

Are you on BeyondUnlimited, and are you exceeding 15GB? You say you are not. What is your approximate usage on your plan per month? Maybe going to BU will work for you.

Other options include, seeing if there is DSL, cable, or fiber internet to your mom's location.

MARDEF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

1 GB used to be enough for 3 phones and a tablet. Then we got the Jetpack! It kept eating and eating data so I kept upping and upping our data limit.

I need to understand why it is using so much data. I would like to know if others have had the same issue and, if so, how they solved it.

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MARDEF2 as a consumer myself, I understand your point and I am so sorry for the issues you are having. We really want to make sure you are on the right plan for your needs, and that you are getting the best value as well. To do this, we need to take a look at your account. I have sent you a Private Message so we can get started.

RosanneM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A quick side note...the Jetpack is intended to be used as a temporary Internet access device (laptop/tablet on the go). Verizon Wireless offers a different device for use in a primary capacity.

0 Likes
MARDEF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ah, I didn't know that. When I described my situation to the associate at the Verizon store, he said the Jetpack would be our best option. What is the Verizon device you're talking about that would be better suited to my situation? Thank you so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think that this is the one... Smiley Happy

Verizon LTE Internet and Home Phone | Verizon Wireless

I, myself, live in a Verizon Core (Ma Bell) state and have Verizon FiOS service (50 up/50 down) here at the house, so, I subscribe to the old 1GB/month plan for the rare times that I'm away from the places with WiFi that I normally frequent.

0 Likes
MARDEF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will check this out. I’m not a technie by a long shot so a lot of that is over my head. LOL! Sounds like it may suit my needs, though. Thank you so, so much!

Beth [removed]

[removed]

[removed]

[removed]

Phone: [removed]

Personal content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
dypinc

"Verizon Wireless offers a different device for use in a primary capacity."

What is it called?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You have a 8 GB shared plan?

Consider moving to do more or get more unlimited plans.  Adding on jet pack is $10.  The jet pack get 15 GB to itself and then slows down without overage.   

0 Likes