Jet Pack and onine gaming
John82009
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently moved to an area that the only internet is Satellite internet which is terrible for online gaming.  I was thinking of trying a USB jet pack to connect my computer and use it for gaming.  I would use the Satellite internet to download the games and then use the Jet Pack to play the games on.  How bad is the latency for online gaming with the Jet Pack and if I had the Beyond Unlimited Plan would I be limited on the Jet Pack for usage?

Thank you in advance

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Jet Pack and onine gaming
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Performance in your home will vary.  This is the nature of the beast.  General performance metrics for Verizon 4GLTE and 3G can be found online.  An average 4G LTE performance is somewhere between 5-12 Mbps.  That is normally enough to play on online game, but I wouldn't advise playing anything competitively.  While active gaming requires relatively low data once the maps and updates are installed the small delays or hiccups in the signal that wouldn't normally be a problem for apps may be noticeable in competitive play.

In your scenario you are likely and should expect to receive below normal performance.  VZW may be better than your satellite connection when it works but will have various limitations.

The only way to know for sure is to either borrow a friends jetpack and try it out from your home.  Or if a friend has a VZW phone you can run some speedtests when they visit and see what kind of performance you can get.  VZW offers a one or two week trial period on new Jetpacks, but there will be a restocking fee to pay if you decide to back out during that period.  A better option may be to try a prepaid VZW device first and if you like it go for a full account afterwards.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Performance in your home will vary.  This is the nature of the beast.  General performance metrics for Verizon 4GLTE and 3G can be found online.  An average 4G LTE performance is somewhere between 5-12 Mbps.  That is normally enough to play on online game, but I wouldn't advise playing anything competitively.  While active gaming requires relatively low data once the maps and updates are installed the small delays or hiccups in the signal that wouldn't normally be a problem for apps may be noticeable in competitive play.

In your scenario you are likely and should expect to receive below normal performance.  VZW may be better than your satellite connection when it works but will have various limitations.

The only way to know for sure is to either borrow a friends jetpack and try it out from your home.  Or if a friend has a VZW phone you can run some speedtests when they visit and see what kind of performance you can get.  VZW offers a one or two week trial period on new Jetpacks, but there will be a restocking fee to pay if you decide to back out during that period.  A better option may be to try a prepaid VZW device first and if you like it go for a full account afterwards.

deloused
Master - Level 3

Beyond Unlimited wouldn’t limit usage or charge overages but it does have speed limits, so it’s usually not the best solution for online gaming. The plan allows 15gb of high speed data each bill cycle. (Reduced to 600kbps after)

John82009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both for the replies.  I am going to give it a try and see how it does

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is a great question John82009 and we want to make sure we answer your inquiries. Here is a link with the devices we have available: http://spr.ly/6583DmEh9 Here is a link with details on our Beyond Unlimited Plan: http://spr.ly/6584DmEhi I hope this helps.

Rosanne_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Crumbie01
Enthusiast - Level 1

How did this work out for you? I’m in the same situation that you were in. Was the Jetpack worth it?

Tags (1)