Is overheating effecting my jetpack speeds?
gmagg
Contributor - Level 1

I have a jetpack 5510L.  For some reason today has been a day when no matter what I want to view the pages are taking forever to load.  I have had this device for a few months and it has not been this bad.  I did a speedtest twice.  Ping = 38 and 33  Download = .72 and .76  Upload .06  I have noticed that sometimes the jetpack feels hot.  Does that affect the device?

I have it set on 4G.  I was given the advice to choose this instead of allowing it to be auto.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow speeds on Jetpack
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  I have noticed that sometimes the jetpack feels hot.  Does that affect the device?

Heat is the bane of all electronic things.  Proper heat mitigation is important to the longevity and stability of our devices.  I suggest powering down the device a little to let it cool, perhaps even reseating the battery to make sure it has a good connection.  Unplug it from the wall if you happened to have it plugged in.

Often times a good solution for temporary performance problems is reseating the SIM card too.  You can do this while the device is powered down. Remove the battery and the SIM card underneath for around 30-60 seconds.  Then reassemble and try again after the device has cooled.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

What happens when you choose auto?  What is your signal strength. 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  I have noticed that sometimes the jetpack feels hot.  Does that affect the device?

Heat is the bane of all electronic things.  Proper heat mitigation is important to the longevity and stability of our devices.  I suggest powering down the device a little to let it cool, perhaps even reseating the battery to make sure it has a good connection.  Unplug it from the wall if you happened to have it plugged in.

Often times a good solution for temporary performance problems is reseating the SIM card too.  You can do this while the device is powered down. Remove the battery and the SIM card underneath for around 30-60 seconds.  Then reassemble and try again after the device has cooled.

gmagg
Contributor - Level 1

Today I have had it running for about 3 hours and it is not heating up.  (yes, it is working better)  Thanks for confirming the heat issue.  The next time I have an issue like yesterday, I will shut down.

The only time I have it plugged in is when it needs recharging.

Did another speedtest twice  Pin=  = 30 and 29  Download = 4.43 and 6.19  Upload = .73 and 1.01

I live in a wooded area out in the country.  I get better reception in the fall/winter obviously.

Anyway, thanks.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation.

I am only aware of the heat problem because I have worked on cases before where folks have left their Jetpacks in their cars during summer.  As the Jetpacks heatup they breakdown and stop performing.  These users often find they have to find a better spot in the car with more protection from the heat or start carrying the Jetpack with them all the time.

The same problem happens for folks who leave their jetpack in an open window 24x7.  The heat from the sun will start to cause performance problems sooner or later.  Most of the time the damage isn't permanent.