Is a Jetpack the best option for unlimited home Wifi?
PHILCORE3

I am currently living in an area that doesn't have much for home internet.  Verizon is our best option for internet at the moment.  We are currently using an old 5510 jetpack and it works good for internet use and light streaming.  We upgraded to the unlimited as we want to stream video a lot more with our TV.   Is the jetpack the best option for this?  It just feels like all that data through such a tiny device is bound to cause issues.  From what I'm reading, Jetpacks aren't even meant for constant use.  Is there anything else out there that Verizon offers or that people have found is a better way?

0 Likes
Re: Is a Jetpack the best option for unlimited home Wifi?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

nope. The prepaid unlimited jetpack is your best option. All other unlimited plans have some sort of limit that will be terrible for streaming

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

No.

A Jetpack is not the best device for a 24/7 kind of connection you are accustomed to in your home.  Jetpacks require frequent reboots and occasional resets to keep working if they are left online for prolonged periods of time.  They are a temporary usage/travel internet device.

VZW offers 4G LTE Home Routers which are a better fit.  The hardware is better designed for a 24/7 connection scenario like a home connection.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

John Getzke wrote:

No.

A Jetpack is not the best device for a 24/7 kind of connection you are accustomed to in your home. Jetpacks require frequent reboots and occasional resets to keep working if they are left online for prolonged periods of time. They are a temporary usage/travel internet device.

VZW offers 4G LTE Home Routers which are a better fit. The hardware is better designed for a 24/7 connection scenario like a home connection.

can you use that on the unlimited prepaid jetpack plan?

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I do not believe that the 4G Routers are an option for prepaid. 

Contact VZW for confirmation on that one.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

John Getzke wrote:

I do not believe that the 4G Routers are an option for prepaid.

Contact VZW for confirmation on that one.

Then they should stick with the jetpack as prepaid unlimited on a jetpack is better deal than postpaid unlimited.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A USB modem with a compatible WiFi router would better suited for a 24/7 operation then a Jetpack.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

If one can use it on prepaid. You guys do get the prepaid unlimited on Jetpack allows 720p streaming on all devices( 1080p on tablets ) in other words a Roku can get 720p. ding that on postpaid you only get 15 GB or 20 GB then 600 kbps which isn't even 480p. On other things you get 4G speeds as much as you want as long as your aren't congested vs 15/20 GB on postpaid.

lorenb_vzw
Verizon Employee

No matter where you live we want you to have the connection you need. Jetpacks are a great option for areas that do not offer that hard lined service option. As we move toward 5G, watch for updates on when this amazing service will be available for your area to provide the speed and connection you need at 5G Ultra Wideband Wireless Home Network | Verizon Wireless.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry . This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

lorenb_vzw wrote:

No matter where you live we want you to have the connection you need. Jetpacks are a great option for areas that do not offer that hard lined service option. As we move toward 5G, watch for updates on when this amazing service will be available for your area to provide the speed and connection you need at 5G Ultra Wideband Wireless Home Network | Verizon Wireless.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response registry . This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Come on you only offer this in 4 cities and only in a few places in those 4 and Verizon has already stated no more 5G rollout until 5G NR equipment is available for deployment which is 6 months away. Also you guys stated you're only going to cover 25% of the households in the US. So 75% of us won't even have it as an option when it's fully deployed which Verizon claims won't be until 2024. You're giving people false hope