Can a Jetpack 7730L tether to an Asus RT-N56U Router?
nomomot
Enthusiast - Level 2

The router will USB tether with my LG smart phone and does so very easily.  I can't get the router to recognize the Jetpack at all.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Can a Jetpack 7730L tether to an Asus RT-N56U Router?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure if a router can be mated to a Jetpack. I know that Verizon Wireless has a different device which is designed to be used in a more permanent manner as opposed to the short term nature of the Jetpack.

0 Likes
nomomot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah. I wish the store hadn't told me that it would tether. I tried to take it back in the 14 day return period but the manager was the only one that can do returns and he was eating lunch and couldn't be disturbed. You'd think they could do a little better by a 15 year customer.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't get me wrong...the Jetpack is a useful device. Just not optimized for an always on home Internet application. While the window to return the Jetpack has passed, check out the home Internet unit, see if it might be worth pursuing and go from there. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could always sell the Jetpack on Swappa. I would suggest that you purchase a 4G LTE USB modem instead to plug into your existing Asus router especially if it supports the option. Verizon Global Modem USB730L | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

USB tethering requires drivers.  Only certain manufacturers are going to develop and maintain drivers for various Jetpack models, and I currently do not know of any.  The only home routers compatible with internet access devices are only compatible with traditional USB Modems.

You would have to check with your hardware manufacturer to see if they can support the USB tethering process of a Jetpack with drivers or not.  No driver equals no go.

nomomot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I'm not buying anything else, especially from Verizon stores where they think they are improving things by lying to customers.  That modem looks like it is for plugging into computers, not routers.  Before I spend any money on any other promises, they'd have to tether it to my router and show me.   But I've wasted enough time researching this and other products.  Currently cellular is my only option for internet connection.  However, they are upgrading DSL in my area and adding more ports.  So as soon as that is up I will get on the copper wire telco's DSL.  Selling the Jetpack on some swap site? That sounds like a lot more trouble that hitting it with a hammer! LOL