Can I remotely view a camera with a static IP address?
yellowtire

I purchased a static IP from Verizon but now I have a few more questions.

Currently have a MIFI (MHS815L), this router does not support port forwarding

I definitely need something that will do the port forwarding and support a hard wired ethernet connection from the DVR.

What device do I need to purchase to install the SIM from the MIFI that has the static IP address associated with it?

Do I really need to set up a VPN to view the cameras even though I now have a static IP.

I need to forward port(s) 4000 - 8000.

They are configurable on the DVR so they don't have to be exactly that.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: remote camera viewing over verizon wireless
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I definitely need something that will do the port forwarding and support a hard wired ethernet connection from the DVR.

Correct, the MHS815L does not support Port Forwarding, only Port Filtering.  See page 34 of the User Manual for info on port filtering:

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Verizon/Ellipsis%20Jetpack%202%20MHS800L/User...

Jetpacks/MiFis are not the ideal device for Ethernet cable connections as they do not have any.  VZW does offer a 4G LTE Router which can provide that functionality.  You can also use VZW USB modems with compatible home routers to provide this functionality too. 

> What device do I need to purchase to install the SIM from the MIFI that has the static IP address associated with it?

4G LTE Router or a USB Modem with a compatible Home Router (see 3GStore.com for some options).  The VZW static IP you purchased should be compatible with any VZW device, just need to coordinate the migration with VZW.

> Do I really need to set up a VPN to view the cameras even though I now have a static IP.

No and yes.  The static IP provides the same public IP accessibility as a VPN server would offer.  Your cameras will be accessible on the internet if configured correctly.  However you are lacking the port forwarding functionality with your current Jetpack where as a VPN server may be able to offer that functionality to you.  Setting up a VPN server and a public IP from VZW seems like overkill to me when a single device should be able to offer that to you.

> I need to forward port(s) 4000 - 8000.

Then I would recommend swapping out your Jetpack with the 4G LTE Home Router.  VZW would accept a free device swap if you are still under your trial, minus a restocking fee.  Otherwise talk with VZW support and see if they can do anything for you since the functionality you require is not provided with your current device.  They may be able to make an exception for you.

See page 60 of the 4G LTE Home Router:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/user_guide/4g-lte-router.pdf

View solution in original post

Re: remote camera viewing over verizon wireless
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I definitely need something that will do the port forwarding and support a hard wired ethernet connection from the DVR.

Correct, the MHS815L does not support Port Forwarding, only Port Filtering.  See page 34 of the User Manual for info on port filtering:

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Verizon/Ellipsis%20Jetpack%202%20MHS800L/User...

Jetpacks/MiFis are not the ideal device for Ethernet cable connections as they do not have any.  VZW does offer a 4G LTE Router which can provide that functionality.  You can also use VZW USB modems with compatible home routers to provide this functionality too. 

> What device do I need to purchase to install the SIM from the MIFI that has the static IP address associated with it?

4G LTE Router or a USB Modem with a compatible Home Router (see 3GStore.com for some options).  The VZW static IP you purchased should be compatible with any VZW device, just need to coordinate the migration with VZW.

> Do I really need to set up a VPN to view the cameras even though I now have a static IP.

No and yes.  The static IP provides the same public IP accessibility as a VPN server would offer.  Your cameras will be accessible on the internet if configured correctly.  However you are lacking the port forwarding functionality with your current Jetpack where as a VPN server may be able to offer that functionality to you.  Setting up a VPN server and a public IP from VZW seems like overkill to me when a single device should be able to offer that to you.

> I need to forward port(s) 4000 - 8000.

Then I would recommend swapping out your Jetpack with the 4G LTE Home Router.  VZW would accept a free device swap if you are still under your trial, minus a restocking fee.  Otherwise talk with VZW support and see if they can do anything for you since the functionality you require is not provided with your current device.  They may be able to make an exception for you.

See page 60 of the 4G LTE Home Router:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/user_guide/4g-lte-router.pdf