Can I provide external access to my Foscam IP camera via my jetpack?
dgreen80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi.  I have been (unsuccessfully) trying to provide external access to my Foscam Fl8910W camera connected to a MiFi 4620L. I have tried to port forward and use DMZ. From what I little I have been able to find reading through the forum, it seems as the 4620L does not truly provide port forwarding on the Verizon LTE network.  Is that true?  I have also seen references to using a VPN tunnel to accomplish a similar type connection.  Is that a realistic possibility and can anyone provide me some guidance/direction on how I might set up VPN service if this is possible?  Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MiFi 4620L and Foscam IP camera
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Yes its true.  The VZW SIM card network has a NAT firewall that is blocking the assignment of a public IP Address needed to operate your IP Camera.  All you will ever be able to use is the NAT Firewall's private IP Address on these devices, unless you want to fork over a few hundered to purchase a static IP Address.

Setting up an VPN tunnel is simple when you are dealing with 2 PC's.  Take a look around at some of the free VPN clients that are available on the web.  They should have plenty of documentation on how to install and configure your tunnel.  If you can somehow re-wire your camera to be USB connected to a VPN'd PC your headaches would be much smaller and less of an investment.

The big problem here is that your IP camera will need to somehow be connected to the VPN for it to work.  Since this is a IP camera we can assume it is connected over Ethernet cable to a router and not a PC where the VPN client would normally reside.  That means you either need to enter VPN information directly into the IP camera or find a way to configure the network that it is on to use the VPN.  You could try to contact FosCam to see its possible to configure the device.  Otherwise some higher level routers have VPN connectivity built into them but those are going to be spendy.

Sample small business VPN router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11995/index.html

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Yes its true.  The VZW SIM card network has a NAT firewall that is blocking the assignment of a public IP Address needed to operate your IP Camera.  All you will ever be able to use is the NAT Firewall's private IP Address on these devices, unless you want to fork over a few hundered to purchase a static IP Address.

Setting up an VPN tunnel is simple when you are dealing with 2 PC's.  Take a look around at some of the free VPN clients that are available on the web.  They should have plenty of documentation on how to install and configure your tunnel.  If you can somehow re-wire your camera to be USB connected to a VPN'd PC your headaches would be much smaller and less of an investment.

The big problem here is that your IP camera will need to somehow be connected to the VPN for it to work.  Since this is a IP camera we can assume it is connected over Ethernet cable to a router and not a PC where the VPN client would normally reside.  That means you either need to enter VPN information directly into the IP camera or find a way to configure the network that it is on to use the VPN.  You could try to contact FosCam to see its possible to configure the device.  Otherwise some higher level routers have VPN connectivity built into them but those are going to be spendy.

Sample small business VPN router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11995/index.html

0 Likes
dgreen80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I was afraid it was true.  One work around I have already used involves Splashtop.  With Splashtop I can externally remote in to a desktop on my local network and access the Foscam web server through the desktop for control and video/audio streaming.  It's a little cumbersome and cost since Splashtop requires a subscription....so I will continue to look for other alternatives.

Thanks again!

0 Likes