Can I leave my jet pack plugged in all the time
mdcorby

we are gone a lot and i am worried about the jet pack battery going dead. It's critical to have it on all the time as our solar system is monitored thru wifi. will it hurt the jet pack to leave it plugged in all the time ??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I leave my jet pack plugged in all the time
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> will it hurt the jet pack to leave it plugged in all the time ??

Standard best practices apply to battery maintenance on a Jetpack.

Plus, Jetpacks are not designed for 24x7 connectivity.  Jetpacks require frequent reboots and are under powered compared to a true home router device without a battery.  VZW has better products to offer you if 24x7 is a critical requirement.  For example, check out the 4G LTE home router, any of the USB modem + home router combos or 4G LTE Internet Installed.  Any of these devices are designed for 24x7 use and would perform better in your scenario.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> will it hurt the jet pack to leave it plugged in all the time ??

Standard best practices apply to battery maintenance on a Jetpack.

Plus, Jetpacks are not designed for 24x7 connectivity.  Jetpacks require frequent reboots and are under powered compared to a true home router device without a battery.  VZW has better products to offer you if 24x7 is a critical requirement.  For example, check out the 4G LTE home router, any of the USB modem + home router combos or 4G LTE Internet Installed.  Any of these devices are designed for 24x7 use and would perform better in your scenario.

mdcorby

Thanks for the reply .... I will look into this. Very disappointed in the girl that sold us the jet packs ....... we bought two set ups for 2 different houses ..... and she knew exactly what we were doing Smiley Sad

OIIIIO

Sent from my Jeep

Somewhere in the middle of Nowhere

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mdcorby, We work hard to provide the best service and products to meet our customers' needs. We are sorry that you feel that we missed the target with you. Let's get a better idea of your situation, to see if these are still the right products for the task. First, leaving your Jetpacks plugged in all the time is not a problem. Second, how much are you away? Have they worked for you so far? I know that you said that you are going to use them to help monitor your solar system, how else do you plan to use them?

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

joelr_vzw

Unfortunately you haven't addressed the issue of the OP not able to remotely access their solar system because of the VZW NAT firewall and private IP addresses. ​

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mikesteward
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have noticed your comments regarding the wifi 6620L and not leaving it plugged in 24x7. i have been testing this device for a couple of weeks in an application that requires a long term unattended internet connection, but does not have to be a router. i have had the mifi lose the connection with the laptop several times. the mifi seems to be functioning properly (i went through every menu trying to find something that would make it accept a connection), but it will not accept new (nor maintain the original) connection. if i power it off and back on it functions properly after that.

is it your opinion that the usb modem device would be better for this type of application? if so - is the problem related to the battery/power specs of the 6620L? we are not counting on the battery except to possibly get through power outages. we have an older device (similar to the 6620L - but from a different vendor), and it does not suffer this loss of connection problem. i would prefer a verizon product, but it has to run unattended for months.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> is it your opinion that the usb modem device would be better for this type of application?

Yes.  What you described is the normal behavior of most Jetpacks.  They simply do not perform very well as a dedicated 24x7 connection device.  USB modems and compatible home routers, the 4G LTE home router and the Verizon Home Internet Installed system are much better at 24x7 connections.

>if so - is the problem related to the battery/power specs of the 6620L?

I suspect it has something to do with the battery and power specs.  Since this device has to manage a battery I've always assumed there was additional logic to power on and off functionality to keep the battery from draining down too quickly.  This automated maintenance process tends to get stuck if left unattended for too long and requires a reboot to reset.  You can see some of this behavior in the Jetpack logs if you can get your hands on one and sign into its Admin Page.

>  i would prefer a verizon product, but it has to run unattended for months.

This is a buyer beware situation.  You may be one of the fortunate users who can operate a Jetpack for many days, weeks or months without issues.  Some folks claim they can do so and have no problems.

However, I wouldn't bet on it based on my personal experiences and those I have seen in the forums.  If you have to use a Jetpack in your scenario then I would highly advise setting up some kind of a light timer or another kind of automated reset system to reboot the Jetpack at regular intervals for you.  This will increase the chances that the Jetpack will be online when you truly need it at the expense of a small outage at unusual hours.

Ivan1953
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Jetpack's battery got hot and fat I took it out and just left it plugged in. After some time wifi was slow and Jeff pack was hot.         I hung it in front of a small fan and speed times are back up to where they should be....no battery.

Dan213

I wish the people at the store would have been honest or were not ignorant.  I went in for a usb modem and walked out with a jetpack becouse of how much better they said it was than the usb modem.  Big mistake nothing but issues with this garbage device.  The Jetpack is only connected to one computer through the usb port and wifi off.  It never stays on always needs to be reset and already burnt out a sim card within a month.  If you want 24/7 internet do not buy the jetpack it is a waste of time and more important money!

0 Likes
Dlc76

0 Likes