5G MIFI M1000 Port forwarding
CorcoranJ

I have the 5G MIFI M1000. I have configured it to forward ports 80, 443, 8000, and 8554 so that I can access my NVR security cameras while away from home. I also have the firewall setting allowing external access to connected devices turned on. Unfortunately when I enter the NVR address into my browser I get a timed-out error. The result is the same whether I am trying to access the NVR address through the internet or through a direct wifi connection to the hotspot. Additionally, I am unable to access my WIFI settings page from the internet, but am able to access it through a direct WIFI connection. I have followed the knowledge base instructions, but am at a loss as to why incoming internet connections are blocked.

Anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

0 Likes
Re: 5G MIFI M1000 Port forwarding
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having issues accessing your WiFi settings page from the internet CorcoranJ. There may be a comparability issues with your device and our MIFI device. By default the MiFi broadcast is 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time. On the MiFi  select Menu > Wi-Fi > Band Selection > and select Off for 5Ghz. 

Let us know if this is helpful. 

Have you every used this with a non 5g device?

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
CorcoranJ

My issue isn't with accessing the WIFI. I am able to connect to the WIFI with several devices. All those devices are also able to access the internet through the WIFI.

I am also able to access the WIFI settings page, but only through the WIFI. What I can't do is access the WIFI settings page from a device that is not connected to the WIFI.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I see. Thank you for clearing this up for us, and no worries. We will help you figure this out. By any chance, have you ever been able to do this before? Is there a particular reason why you want to access the settings page while not connected to wifi? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
CorcoranJ

I understand that the WIFI settings page may be protected against external access. That isn't really a concern for me, if that is true. But, if it is supposed to be externally accessible, then it may be an additional symptom of the larger problem that I'm experiencing. That problem is that the router isn't allowing me to access my security camera NVR address whether from externally or otherwise.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We completely understand the need to access your camera device. Since this experiencing this issue, have you tested the connection by disconnecting the camera from the connection and then re-connecting, once it is reconnected try accessing the camera? 

We are asking this to see if the issue is with the camera timing out with the connection to our router? 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
CorcoranJ

Yes. I have disconnected and reconnected several times. I have reset to factory and reconfigured the settings on the mifi and the camera system several times as well.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am guessing the 5G devices are also behind the NAT firewall with a private IP address just like the 4G LTE network works for Verizon Wireless. 

@John_Getzke

Do you have any ideas or thoughts on this question? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Great question.

I have not had a chance to play with the new 5G devices yet.  However, it is safe to assume that they are behind the same NAT firewall system as the 4G LTE devices.  As long as the NAT is involved any port forwarding features on the device are useless.  I'll dig and respond back with my findings.

The current work arounds to NAT firewall are:

- Install and configure a VPN connection

- Contact VZW to purchase a static IP address for your VZW device

- Terminate and switch to another provider that offers you this service

CorcoranJ

I looked around in the forum and it does appear to be a common complaint. I also read up about NAT firewall. So, I did at one point have an Arlo camera system connected to the router. I didn't have any issues accessing the Arlo system through the Arlo app. Is there something different in the method that the app uses to access the camera system that gets around the firewall?

0 Likes