reduce data usage while traveling in Africa
MJS10
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will be traveling to Zambia for 2 weeks.  I plan to purchase a travel plan but want to limit my data usage while away.  I will be using my S10 for photos and emergency calls only. I will turn on wifi when available but it will be limited and slow. Plan to use airplane mode most of the time.

What settings can I use to stop app updates, notifications, text msgs and other unnecessary activities while traveling.

What settings or apps are necessary to make calls over wifi?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: reduce data usage while traveling in Africa
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MJS10,

That sounds like an exciting trip. I hope you have a wonderful time. I certainly understand wanting to keep the costs down as much as possible. I can absolutely help with options to do so.

If you only plan to use your phone for photos and emergency calls it may not be worth adding a plan. Our plan options in Zambia range from $70.00 to $130.00 a month or you can add our TravelPass option for $10.00 per day only on the days you use the device. Taking photos doesn't use data or have a cost though and calls are $2.99 a minute without a plan. If the goal is only to use this in an emergency then you may be better off just going with the pay as you go rate. You can review all of these plan options using our Trip Planner at http://spr.ly/6602EFul4

Airplane mode is an excellent option to stop application updates as the phone won't be able to get any connection except when on Wi-Fi. This will stop all of this. It would be a good idea to turn off your data as well following http://spr.ly/6605EFul7 so that even if you turn airplane mode off to make a phone call apps don't update. This won't stop text messages though. There isn't a way to stop texting but allow phone calls off of Wi-Fi without fully blocking text messaging on our end.

As for Wi-Fi Calling, this can be a great way to make calls and avoid additional cost. You can enable this following the steps at http://spr.ly/6606EFulC . Please make sure to do this before leaving as it needs a connection to Wi-Fi and the Verizon Wireless network to activate though once it is activated you don't need the Verizon network to use it. 

Does this help?

AndrewT_VZW

MJS10
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Andrew, your info is very helpful. Under the wi-fi calling settings it asks which is my preferred network while roaming.  If I am in Africa, which should I set as my preferred network while roaming, mobile or wifi?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MJS10, excellent question, we want to answer all your concerns. You can change your preferred voice network to either the cellular network or Wi-Fi network when you roam internationally.

1. To change your preferred network on your Android device (Samsung Galaxy S10):

a. Go to Settings on your device.
b. Tap Advanced Calling.
c. Choose Wi-Fi Calling.
d. Tap When Roaming and select the network you want to use while roaming:
— Prefer Other Cellular Network (default)
— Prefer Wi-Fi (select if you want to use Wi-Fi calling).

You've successfully selected your preferred network.

2. To change your preferred network on your iPhone (as additional info):

a. Go to Settings on your device.
b. Scroll to Phone.
c. Tap Phone.
d. Select Wi-Fi Calling.
e. Tap the Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone switch (if not already enabled).
f. Choose the Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming switch.

You've successfully selected your preferred network.

Please let us know if this information helped.

GilbertoL_VZW

NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

Turn data roaming off in settings on your phone.  Data roaming charges are the biggest risk as they can run up your bill in the background.   If you leaving data roaming on, and are just depending on airplane mode, you’ll risk getting hit with data charges if you take your phone out of airplane mode.