Travel pass and roaming charges
pw123

If I sign up for Travel pass, do I use my phone just like I was in the US?  Does the $10/day cover any roaming charges?  Or, do I need to turn data off or use Airplane mode?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Travel pass and roaming charges
mama23dogs
Legend

@pw123 wrote:

If I sign up for Travel pass, do I use my phone just like I was in the US?  

The $10 per day travel pass uses your domestic plan in another country. That means if you have a limited account you are still using that limited account. Please know what your limits are and stick to your data talk and text plan.

Does the $10/day cover any roaming charges? 

As long as you are roaming in a country that day pass covers, yes. Please be aware that if you are near the border of a country that is not covered, and connect to towers in that other country, you will be charged roaming charges that are not covered under travel pass.   You might want to turn off Wi-Fi calling if you're making local calls with Wi-Fi in your hotel room. Those would be billed at a long distance, not roaming rate.

Or, do I need to turn data off or use Airplane mode?  
If you have a limited data plan, or are trying not to trigger a day pass you can do either one of these.  You can also just turn data roaming off, which is a setting on your phone, then not answer calls and not use text messaging. This will prevent triggering the $10 per day charge if your phone is not used.

Be aware that roaming plans do not assure that your service will be as it is in the United States. All it does is reduce the high cost of roaming charges. Your actual connection will depend on the compatibility of your phone with the foreign network, and that networks coverage

0 Likes
pw123

thank you, this is helpful

0 Likes
ck01
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a bit confused. I was told by a Verizon operator that if I want to call locally while in a foreign country, and don't want to trigger Travel Pass, that I can call with the WiFi in my hotel or the apartment where I am staying.

Are you saying that local WiFi calls will be charged as International calls (as if I was calling from the USA), even if I have Travel Pass???

Thank you for any clarification.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Wifi Calling is as if you are in the US, not the country you are in. 

If you are in airplane mode on wifi while in France, and wifi calling is active (VZW Wi-Fi indicator) think of everything as if you are in the USA in regards to calls.. Calling to and from the USA is just as if you were sitting at home. 

Calling across the street to the restaurant in France however, is long distance from the USA - Just like if you tried to call that same restaurant while in your home in the US. 

TravelPass is not in effect when you are on Wi-Fi calling. If you activate a travelpass for the day, stay off wifi calling and keep using the local cellular network to get the benefits of the activated travelpass. As you near the end of the 24 hour travelpass, put your phone back in airplane mode and use wifi calling to call back home until you need to use another travelpass. 

Also just having wifi on does not turn on wifi calling if the cellular signal is good. If you have wifi on in your hotel, travelpass active and the cell signal is good and you see the local cell phone company in the indicator area (i.e. NOT VZW Wi-Fi), then you can call in the country you are in using the travelpass. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have service when you travel, pw123. Our goal is for you to be on the right plan. With TravelPass, you can use your domestic talk, text, and data for a set daily fee. You can find more information on option #1 on this link under 'General Information.' https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/travelpass-faqs What countries are you visiting?

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are welcome, pw123. Glad we can clarify this information for you. We hope you enjoy your trip and let us know if you have any additional questions.

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
ck01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. It helps...

When will we get to the day that we do not play all of these confusing games, and they offer us a simple worlwide service at a reasonable flat fee?  Wouldn't that be nice? I imagine it must be coming...

0 Likes