Travel Pass and Roaming
KEVSMI51

Travel Pass Question

In the past when traveling to a foreign country without Travel Pass  I would place my phone on Airplane Mode so I would not get roaming charges.  With Travel Pass do I leave my phone on Airplane Mode until I want to make a call, then take it off of Airplane Mode make the call then when call finished put right back on Airplane Mode.   OR   Do I just leave it Off of Airplane Mode all of the time because there are no additional roaming charges with Travel Pass ??

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Travel Pass and Roaming
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KEVSMI51, traveling can be so fun. I certainly understand how you want to limit any additional roaming charges. Placing your phone in Airplane Mode would be dependent on how you want to utilize TravelPass. TravelPass allows you a 24 hour session at a flat rate. You will be alerted when TravelPass begins and when it will be ending.  If you no longer want to have it kick in for an additional 24 hour session you would want to place your phone in Airplane Mode.  To learn more about TravelPass visit http://spr.ly/6584DZ9VM

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KEVSMI51, it's important to us that you have all the details when it comes to our TravelPass service. I welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry. You would leave your device in Airplane mode when not wanting to incur the TravelPass fee. If you've turned off airplane mode and an event has triggered your TravelPass session, it is best to just keep your phone active (with airplane mode off) since a TravelPass session lasts for 24 hours. You do receive a message 1-hour before the TravelPass session expires. As a result, I'd only recommend placing the device back into airplane mode if you know the expiration is going to take place while sleeping or during an activity where you may not be able to re-enable that airplane mode before a new event has time to trigger a new 24-hour session. I hope this helps. 

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Just a clarification maybe on KEVSMI51​'s response: "TravelPass allows you a 24 hour session at a flat rate."  The flat rate is $5 for a 24-hour period to use your domestic rates during that period, instead of international/roaming rates.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Ds335i

Just to be clear... When using Travel Pass in a country that is covered, should my phone be set to Roaming "On"? When I set Roaming to "On", I get a scarey warning that says I may get Significant rates charged if I want to use Roaming. Does having Travel Pass mean that this warning doesn't apply and that I will only be charged the Travel Pass rate of $10 or $5 per 24 hour period up to the limits of the plan I have at home?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important your phone is set up correctly while traveling, Ds335i. If you are using travelpass, you will want to ensure Roaming is on. The warning will always display no matter what plan you have. The travelpass will ensure you are covered under the travelpass plan for any usage. We hope this clears things up for you. You can learn more about Travelpass here, http://spr.ly/6580Digp8.

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GoGary

If I am outside the USA and TravelPass is activated, does data roaming need to be enabled in order to use voice or text? I mean, if I don't want to surf the web, can I still make a voice call without roaming?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

I think the prior response by @vzw_customer_support  said roaming had to be on. I believe it has to be on for your phone to connect to local towers where you are.  If you're not connecting to the towers, how are you going to make a call or text (unless using WiFi)?

mhmob

Do I need Travel Pass on my IPAD line? Or keep that off, and only use it when on cruise ship's wifi?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

If your iPad line has cell data service and activated, WATCH OUT!   You may need to have TravelPass or ensure cell data is OFF.

0 Likes