SIM Card for iPhone 7 and 8 in Taiwan?
vivperg

Hello - I am traveling to Taiwan from the US in a few months - I am looking to purchase SIM cards once in Taiwan to be able to use DATA while in Taiwan. I would opt for Verizon's TravelPass, but with 3 phones/accounts at $10 a day per phone for 2 weeks, it's just way too expensive - approximately $500. versus $60 for 3 unlimited data 1 month SIM cards in Taiwan.

My question is - does anyone have experience purchasing a SIM card to use in their iPhone in Taiwan? Will this work? or do i need to call Verizon to unlock something? Will it mess up my service or phone numbers when I return to the US? the only other option is to just purchase a WiFi device from a local Taiwan carrier, they offer these at $2.50-$4.00 per day which you can connect up to 10 devices, they say these are backed on their 4G LTE service, so i assume i can use the WiFi device, put my phone in airplane mode and WiFi on and have service... anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SIM Card for iPhone 7 and 8 in Taiwan?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important you have service while traveling in Taiwan, Vivperg. Our postpaid 4G devices are unlocked after the initial activation, and you will not have problems using your device with another SIM card. If you do decide to use another service provider while traveling, please don't complete any software updates on your device. We have different plan options available for your lines while traveling, and if you want to have a plan to ensure you'll have service, please let us know. 

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important you have service while traveling in Taiwan, Vivperg. Our postpaid 4G devices are unlocked after the initial activation, and you will not have problems using your device with another SIM card. If you do decide to use another service provider while traveling, please don't complete any software updates on your device. We have different plan options available for your lines while traveling, and if you want to have a plan to ensure you'll have service, please let us know. 

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vivperg

Thanks David - so there should be no issue using a SIM card I purchase in Taiwan in either my iphone 7 or iphone 8? We will make sure not to completely any software devices.

I would just go with the TravelPass, but again with 3 devices and 2 full weeks in Taiwan, the $10/day/device with very limited data is just way too expensive. Buying SIM cards in Taiwan will be less than 15% of the cost.

Thank you though. I'm happy to know my device will work in Taiwan with an international SIM card. This is great information.

0 Likes