My daughter moved to Norway
SSMIT19

my daughter moved to Norway and we need to be able to talk & text with her. 

Have been having problems doing so.

Went into the Verizon store here, before she left, and they put us on one plan but we immediately started getting overage charges.  Talked to Global support and thought we worked thru everything, we turned off her voice capabilities, basically suspended the # so she can have the same phone # when she returns in a year or 2,  in favor of using the recommended WhatsApp.  But now she can't even  text! 

Please help as we'd really like to be able to talk to her and need to communicate in case of an emergency or any issues etc.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: My daughter moved to Norway
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you needed to keep the number active for when she returns, you might want to have put the line on a basic phone and reduced its cost on your account as much as possible. For her, she should have gotten a local number from the local carrier. If her phone is global ready, she would be able to use the same phone while in Norway. You would then have to reach her on the Norway number.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rcschnoor
Legend

SSMIT19 wrote:

basically suspended the # so she can have the same phone # when she returns in a year or 2,

Keep in mind Verizon allows you to suspend a number for 90 days in a 365 day period. After that, you would be paying the full amount for the line.

I agree with Ann154​, your daughter should get a local number and switch out her SIM card with the local SIM card if her phone is global ready. Most current Verizon plans include unlimited international texting so you would be able to text her international number at no additional cost. As to calling, Skype would be an option to keep costs down.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of having the ability to communicate with your daughter while she's overseas. We're here to help, please respond to our private message so we can better assist you.

Joel_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SSMIT19, I know the importance of understanding your options when it comes to communicating with loved ones who are traveling abroad. Regrettably, when a line is suspended on our Network; text message communications are suspended as well. This occurs even when using a third party application. 

My apologies that we were unsuccessful in taking care of your concerns when you contacted us before. We can definitely provide a more personalized review of your options. I have sent you a Private Message for a more thorough review.  

TanishaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.
0 Likes
SSMIT19

TanishaS —

Thank you and yes, I’d very much like to be able to figure out a reasonable way to communicate with with my daughter.

What ever help you can provide would be most appreciated.

I can be reached at either [removed]

Thank you,

Sue

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SSMIT19, getting in touch with your loved one is always important, especially when they are traveling overseas. Verizon Wireless is always here to help. We are glad to have been able to reach out to you via phone to explain your options. Thank you for being the best part of Verizon Wireless. Enjoy your day.

Gilberto_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes