International Data Plan Woes
sudur
Enthusiast - Level 2

I travel overseas for weeks at a time. Generally take Verizons 2GB plan ($130). But I can't figure out their plan's monthly cycle (vs. my usual billing cycle). Neither can I monitor how much of data I have used. 

Usually land up paying overages, as well as paying for additional month even after I have immediately stopped the plan when I arrive back to US.

I am convinced that this is made arcane by Verizon to milk their customers who travel overseas. I am thinking of switching to GoogleFi for precisely this reason after being on Verizon for ~10 years.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: International Data Plan Woes
mama23dogs
Legend

@sudur wrote:

I travel overseas for weeks at a time. Generally take Verizons 2GB plan ($130). But I can't figure out their plan's monthly cycle (vs. my usual billing cycle). Neither can I monitor how much of data I have used. 

Usually land up paying overages, as well as paying for additional month even after I have immediately stopped the plan when I arrive back to US.

I am convinced that this is made arcane by Verizon to milk their customers who travel overseas. I am thinking of switching to GoogleFi for precisely this reason after being on Verizon for ~10 years.

The plans are 30 days from when you add the plan and has nothing to do with your domestic bill cycle.  

If you add one 30 day plan, and travel for 31 days l that 31st day may kill your wallet.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

Renewing monthly roaming plans are for 60 days minimum, $120 each month for 2+ until you remove it.  The 30 days is not prorated.    So if you travel for 5 weeks, 35 days, you pay for 2, 30 day plans $240   Have you tried travel pass?  It’s cheaper for short trips and uses your domestic plan.  

Since Fi charges for use, it’s probably  cheaper to have a permanent Fi number in addition to Verizon.  Unfortunately Fi just doesn’t cut it open the USA.   Let’s hope it improves   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand looking to understand your international plan. With our plans, you have the option to pick to reset with your billing cycle, or to reset in a callendar month after it's activated. We would like to look over this. Find all the ways to get in contact with us here, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/contact-us/

JavierMD_VZW

0 Likes
sudur
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is very helpful. Can you please explain what you mean by "Renewing monthly roaming plans are for 60 days minimum"

Travel Pass doesn't work for me as my travels are usually 4+ weeks at a time.

0 Likes
sudur
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

When you say we have the option to "reset with billing cycle", how will the intervening period be billed, i.e. from the time I leave US to the day that my domestic billing cycle starts?

0 Likes
sudur
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW, the "International Usage and Services" page on My Verison consistently gives following message for days:

Sorry, Something went wrong. Please try again later

I have never seen this page provide any useful information.

0 Likes
kirkwalder

Verizon has increased their international plan charges by nearly 100%.  I used to pay $40.  Now $70 for the least expensive plan.  Ripoff beyond comprehension.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@sudur wrote:

This is very helpful. Can you please explain what you mean by "Renewing monthly roaming plans are for 60 days minimum"

Travel Pass doesn't work for me as my travels are usually 4+ weeks at a time.

You can’t have a “renewing plan” unless it renews at least once, 30 + 30 = 60

mama23dogs
Legend

@kirkwalder wrote:

Verizon has increased their international plan charges by nearly 100%.  I used to pay $40.  Now $70 for the least expensive plan.  Ripoff beyond comprehension.

Agree.   Last time I paid for a travel plan it was $40 and I used $24 in services.  So now I go without and pay per use.  Wifi calling, data roaming off.  We’re i desperate I’d get a local sim or get Fi.

sudur
Enthusiast - Level 2

This short term greed will come to bite Verizon in the long-term. Writing is on the wall. International roaming will slowly converge to domestic roming (Google Fi, Apple virtual sim etc.). Verizon should try to lead the trend, instead of trying to milk its most valued customers.

I am willing to pay a little higher for convenience for having one phone, one number. But not 2X or 3X from the alternatives.

0 Likes