Re: How do the charges work?
bev99999

To reaffirm:

we MUST FIRST turn wifi calling on, right??

Should we also select: prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming?

Then turn phone on air plane mode.

Then turn on Wi-Fi. (automatically goes to wi-fi calling)

We can call each other's cell. No charge

We can call those at home in US no charge

Those at home can call us, no charge for us but they will pay international charges?

We can text each other. No charge

Those at home can text us. We do not pay any charges, do not pay any charge to text us???

If we want to call or text anyone outside the US, we need to turn off Air plane mode and turn off Wi-Fi, we will then be using our Travel Pass??

Are all above correct?

You have been great help!!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
bev99999

One more question,

To use the wi-fi data no charge we must first connect to free wi-fi where offered??

Thank You!!!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

bev99999 wrote:

To reaffirm:

we MUST FIRST turn wifi calling on, right?? Yes

Should we also select: prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming? Yes

Then turn phone on air plane mode. Yes

Then turn on Wi-Fi. (automatically goes to wi-fi calling) Yes

We can call each other's cell. No charge Yes

We can call those at home in US no charge Yes

Those at home can call us, no charge for us but they will pay international charges? Yes, and no international charge.  Remember on wifi calling, as far as the phone is concerned, you are at home. 

We can text each other. No charge Yes

Those at home can text us. We do not pay any charges, do not pay any charge to text us??? Yes

If we want to call or text anyone outside the US, we need to turn off Air plane mode and turn off Wi-Fi, we will then be using our Travel Pass??  Not necessary.  International texting is included in Verizon plan and you can be in wifi calling mode.  Calls will be internationallong distance as if you are calling from home.  You may want to use Travelpass if calling local in the country you are in, since that does not incur long distance on TravelPass. 

Are all above correct?

You have been great help!!

Sent from my iPhone

See above

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

bev99999 wrote:

One more question,

To use the wi-fi data no charge we must first connect to free wi-fi where offered??

Thank You!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, you must be on wifi first. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Make sure you see VZW Wi-Fi at the top left of the iPhone screen in the status area. If it is there, you are on wifi calling and will not get roaming charges or trigger TravelPass.

0 Likes
donbikes
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is not consistent with how Verizon describes the charges. According to Verizon (see, for example, Traveling abroad? Connecting internationally just got simpler   ), "TravelPass activates when you make or receive a call, connect to a data service or send a text while within one of the 65+ countries where TravelPass is available. Another daily session will begin once you make or receive a call, send a text or use data after the 24-hour period expires."

In other words, ​receiving a text​ should not cause a TravelPass charge.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

donbikes wrote:

This is not consistent with how Verizon describes the charges. According to Verizon (see, for example, Traveling abroad? Connecting internationally just got simpler ), "TravelPass activates when you make or receive a call, connect to a data service or send a text while within one of the 65+ countries where TravelPass is available. Another daily session will begin once you make or receive a call, send a text or use data after the 24-hour period expires."

In other words, receiving a text should not cause a TravelPass charge.

Difference is in theory and real life.  If incoming text is MMS (group text, contains special characters, video, picture) it will connect to the data service.  Also for those with iOS devices, incoming iMessage is data and triggers data connection. There is also the fact of junk calls that by default you are opening up if you have incoming SMS on, which requires cellular services to be on.   I would not count on the safety of the trigger by outgoing text to justify keeping cellular services on if you do not want to trigger an unintentional $10 TravelPass charge.  I was aware of the wording, but my experience shows you cannot have a setup that only has allowed incoming SMS while preventing MMS and any incoming junk calls.  That is why I simplify and just say airplane mode is the only way to assure no Travelpass trigger. 

donbikes
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting that Weth's reply to my post is now marked as the correct answer -- because it isn't.  I can receive a test with a picture without needing a data connection, only a cellular connection.  If you are going to turn airplane mode on so that you absolutely cannot activate TravelPass, why have it in the first place?

Why would turning mobile data off not be the right way to go if you want to avoid unintentional charges.  You can then receive texts and screen phone calls to determine whether or not to trigger a TravelPass charge.

0 Likes
bev99999

I am now completely confused!!!

Yes, I do want to avoid unintentional calls!!

Yes, I don't want them to trigger my Travel Pass.

I got Travel Pass for an emergency!!

I do not plan to sit on the phone taking/making calls or texting.

I do not want anyone to trigger my Travel Pass but me!

I would appreciate if the two of you would figure out the right way and let me know. I only have till Sunday at 8:00pm to figure this out!?

Oh, please explain in terms a not so savy tech person can understand!!

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Yes, I know donbikes​ confused the situation. He or she is not wrong, but it puts nuances on the situation that make it more complicated. If you go by the methods I mentioned you won't get charged. There have been others that have gotten charges or TravelPass initiated with cellular active, even with data off. The request was guaranteed no charges. Following my information is how that is done. Having cellular active is not guaranteed no charges and will not prevent a junk call coming in or unintentional butt dial.

bev99999​ no reason to be confused. Just play it safe with the airplane mode I outlined. As OP outlined, he or she wants TravelPass only for emergency and to prevent huge charges if something goes wrong. Very valid reason.

The reason the Verizon moderators marked my correct is because it is the only 100% sure way not to get an unintentional charge. Also many phones do need data active for multimedia messages. In fact most do with a few exceptions.

0 Likes