How Do Travel Pass Charges Work?
bev99999

I have added the Travel Pass.  If someone calls me or text me will this activate the $10 travel pass charge  OR  is the travel pass activated when I call or text? Will I be charged for their call and or text!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do the charges work?
Weth
Legend

donbikes wrote:

This is not consistent with how Verizon describes the charges. According to Verizon (see, for example, Traveling abroad? Connecting internationally just got simpler ), "TravelPass activates when you make or receive a call, connect to a data service or send a text while within one of the 65+ countries where TravelPass is available. Another daily session will begin once you make or receive a call, send a text or use data after the 24-hour period expires."

In other words, receiving a text should not cause a TravelPass charge.

Difference is in theory and real life.  If incoming text is MMS (group text, contains special characters, video, picture) it will connect to the data service.  Also for those with iOS devices, incoming iMessage is data and triggers data connection. There is also the fact of junk calls that by default you are opening up if you have incoming SMS on, which requires cellular services to be on.   I would not count on the safety of the trigger by outgoing text to justify keeping cellular services on if you do not want to trigger an unintentional $10 TravelPass charge.  I was aware of the wording, but my experience shows you cannot have a setup that only has allowed incoming SMS while preventing MMS and any incoming junk calls.  That is why I simplify and just say airplane mode is the only way to assure no Travelpass trigger. 

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

While you are in a covered country (and make sure you look at the list to make sure the country you are in is covered on TravelPass), any incoming or outgoing call, text, or data will trigger the $10/day charge and cover the next 24 hours.

TravelPass countries

TravelPass Countries | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
bev99999

We are cruising.  I do not plan to use my phone on board for anything more than the clock.

If I am in airplane mode will this prevent my phone from receiving text and it calls?

If I don't answer the call will I be charged?

Getting several telemarketing calls!

If I don't open the text will I be charged?   If I do open, it will only be 5cents correct?

Then when I want to use my travel pass I can open the text?   

What is difference in putting phone in air plane mode and turning of cellula?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Based on your goals, what you want to do is place your phone in airplane mode and then turn on only wifi and leave your phone that way the entire trip. WIth that setup you will not trigger any daily charges.

Answers to your specific questions

If I am in airplane mode will this prevent my phone from receiving text and it calls? Yes *

If I don't answer the call will I be charged? It will get forwarded to voicemail and you could still be charged

Getting several telemarketing calls! The bane of everyone

If I don't open the text will I be charged?   If I do open, it will only be 5cents correct? It doesn't matter if you open the text or not, if it comes in you will trigger the $10 24 hr TravelPass

Then when I want to use my travel pass I can open the text?   Just receiving the text will trigger the TravelPass charge. IT has nothing to do with opening it.

What is difference in putting phone in air plane mode and turning of cellula? The difference is you are not just stopping data, but all cellular communication - including text, voice, and data. Airplane mode with turning on only wifi is the only sure fire way to prevent unintended charges.

* Exception

If you have a newer phone that supports wifi calling, and you turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi, you will be able to use your phone, while on wifi, just like you are in the USA. That means with wifi calling active, you can receive texts, send texts, make calls to the US and receive any call, and use wifi data with no roaming charges, and no TravelPass $10 trigger. You did not say what phone you have, so I cannot coment if this pertains to you. If you have it though, this is the way to get free calling and texts back and from the US for no additional charges. (unless there is a charge for wifi access).

bev99999

So how do I prevent incoming calls??

I do not want to pay for telemarketing calls!!

Incoming text are only 5 cents correct?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
bev99999

I see you say air plane mode is a sure way to avoid unintended charges.

So I can keep in air plane mode until I want to use my travel pass. At that time I will take it out of air plane mode. This will refuse incoming calls and text while in air plane mode and I won't be charged for them, correct?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
bev99999

By keeping my phone in air plane mode will prevent any charges, correct?

When on shore and I want to make a call or text, I can take it out of airplane mode and begin using my travel pass, correct?

0 Likes
bev99999

I have iPhone 7

0 Likes
bev99999

We also have iPhone 6s   as well as iPhone 7.

Thanks

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Both your iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 support wifi calling. This is good news.

Activate Wifi calling by going to Settings / Phone and Turn on Wifi Calling. You will need to enter your emergency address, this is usually your home address.

Now when you travel, keep your phone in airplane mode. While in airplane mode you will not get any charges. If you connect wifi, then wifi calling will become active. As long as you are in airplane mode, think of wifi calling as you sitting at home. You can receive or send a call or text and this would not be considered roaming. There is no travelpass trigger or other charges. It really is like you are sitting at home. This is the cheapest way to get calls and messages when travelling.

Now if you need to make a call or receive texts and there is no wifi available, then you can turn off airplane mode. This will very likely immediately have some texts come in that have queued up. So doing that is going to be an almost automatic $10 TravelPass 24 hour trigger. Once you do that, you might as well leave airplane mode off for 24 hours to take advantage of your TravelPass.

With travelpass you are just using your current plan. There is no 5 cent per message charge and no calling roaming fees. You can call the country you are in for no long distance and you can call back to the USA with no long distance when on TravelPass. Remember on wifi calling it is like you are sitting at home, so if you call the local country you are in, that is international long distance.

To reaffirm - if you are in airplane mode you will prevent charges, even if you are connect to wifi and get a call or text while in wifi mode.