Daughter studying in England. Use UK SIM card in her new iPhone 11?
larryfromtexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

My daughter will spend the Spring 2020 semester in the UK, for about 5 months.  It's also time to upgrade her phone to an iPhone 11, likely in December 2019.  Verizon Travel Pass is too expensive.  Can we purchase her a UK SIM card to use in her new iPhone 11?

We plan to purchase the new iPhone 11 from Apple, rather than Verizon, for various reasons.  Do we only need to make sure it is unlocked, or is there more to it than that?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Daughter studying in England. Use UK SIM card in her new iPhone 11?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You probably should get the SIM free unlocked model from Apple and use an already activated SIM card on your daughter's line to activate the new phone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
larryfromtexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.  I just spent time at Apple Sales Support talking to four (4) people and now feel I have my answer.  Bought from Apple, ALL of their phones are unlocked, although you choose a carrier upfront and they set up the new purchase to work with (in my case) Verizon.  We can then pop out the Verizon SIM card in England and pop in a British carrier SIM card and we *may* be in business.  The kicker is that the North American iPhone 11 is model A2111, but the UK iPhone 11 model is A2221.  That difference might be enough to *limit* coverage in more rural areas.  That's a question for me to pursue with UK providers.  I appreciate your help!!!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you choose a carrier upfront and Apple provides you with a SIM card from that carrier, the phone could be SIM locked to that carrier. This is particularly true for phone with a Verizon Wireless SIM card pre-installed as phone are now SIM locked for 60 days after purchase. See the link below. 

To avoid the SIM lock, you need to purchase a SIM free version that doesn't come with a SIM card. You still need to make sure the model is compatible with the Verizon Wireless network prior to inserting your existing SIM card. 

https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That sounds like an exciting opportunity that you daughter has to study abroad! I understand the importance of making sure that she stays connected with phone service. It is also important to keep costs as low as possible, and using an International carrier while in the UK would be the most cost effective.

If you purchase a phone directly from Apple, please make sure that you purchased an unlocked iPhone 11.

The cool thing about the iPhone 11, is the dual SIM capability. She can easily use another carrier's SIM card while in the UK. Here is a useful link to more details: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/dual-sim-with-esim-faqs/

Does this information help?

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

larryfromtexas You are so very welcome. Have a great trip and we are always here for you. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes