Marshmallow Update for HTC One M8 and HTC apps wanting updates
JediLoki
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got done installing both Verizon pushed updates to get my M8 up to Marshmallow and the phone itself is working fine after the update...connects to WiFi, downloads email, text messages work, Facebook app works...so update itself seems to be good.

The Play Store however is saying I have a lot of HTC apps to update.   Some of which note are "updated" for 6.0.   None of them will download.I will get an error noting the Update for "Pick the HTC App...they all give it) could not be downloaded due to an error.

The apps that note they should be updated, but will not are:

HTC Calendar

HTC Connect

HTC Mail

HTC MirrorLink

HTC Service - DLNA

HTC Speak

HTC Tasks

Anyone else seeing this, and if so, did you get it resolved?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Marshmallow Update for HTC One M8 and HTC apps wanting updates
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jshannon45, software updates can take some getting used to. Lets get those applications updated. Try going into Settings> Application Manager> App Store> Force Stop. Once you stop the application restart the phone, and see if the apps register as updated.

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@JediLoki

I'm glad to hear you were able to successfully update your device software on your HTC One M8 device. However, I want to ensure your applications on your device are working as expected.

So that I can better understand what you’re experiencing, please tell me if these particular applications show updated or does it show an update is still pending in the Google Play Store on your device? Have you tried soft resetting your device since this problem began http://vz.to/1JK2n2X?

AnthonyTa_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JediLoki
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I have tried a soft reset a couple of times now.

Once the update completed, the PlayStore noted a bunch of apps that needed to be updated, most of which updated just fine automatically.

The ones listed above were listed in a section called Updates, with an Update All button as an option, or each app has an individual update next to it.   If I go into any of the apps showing that need updated and look at the version number noted on the Play Store compared to the version number I show installed on my phone, the Play Store has a newer version based on the version number.

All of these apps are working just fine now as far as I can tell, just that the Google Play Store notes I have updates available and it won't download them.

0 Likes
mlamx1634
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same issue as JediLoki. All of these apps will not install and get error retrieving information from server.

HTC Calendar

HTC Connect

HTC Mail

HTC MirrorLink

HTC Service - DLNA

HTC Speak

HTC Tasks

0 Likes
Stbo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the identical problem.  I am told to update the following:

HTC Calendar

HTC Connect

HTC Mail

HTC MirrorLink

HTC Service - DLNA

HTC Speak

HTC Tasks

When I try, for each app I get the following error message:

Can't update app

Update for "HTC ______" could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC-0 SX17-TAMX-56T5M])

Stbo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will add that I cannot now clear the cache by going into Recovery.  When I try, I get a red error triangle and, after a while, the phone simply reboots.

0 Likes
JediLoki
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any of the normal Play Store fixes (clear cache on Play Store and Play Services), remove your Google Account and re-add it do not resolve the issue.

Since other apps downloaded and updated just fine, and the only thing that will not update properly from the Play Store are the HTC apps, this is not an earth shattering issue, but with so many others having the exact same issue, it seems to be something borked in the new Marshmallow update

0 Likes
JediLoki
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ran through the entire list here, no joy.

Play Store won't load or download apps - Google Play Help

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting your play store to behanve may be a matter of making sure you are still signed in. When you go to play store and drop down the settings does it show you an email address there? If not you will need to log in again for the play store.
CheriS_VZW

• If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
rldawg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the exact same issue with the same error message regarding the above list of HTC Apps.

Could it be that those apps are no longer supported/necessary after upgrading to Marshmallow?  If that's the case, then why didn't the upgrade remove them?