Lost Text Messages on HTC One M8 After Marshmallow Update
girlinatardis
Enthusiast - Level 2

About a day or two after my phone updated to Marshmallow, I walked away from my phone for maybe an hour or so, connected to a charger, not doing anything special with it or anything, no apps open, and when I got back to it, basically all of my text messages (I use the Verizon Message+ app) were gone. This was about 8:30pm, and the only messages I could view from most people I'd been texting that day were starting at 7:15. I've had 1 conversation saved since 2014 without deleting anything (across me having 2 different phones, too, I still had every message), otherwise, I delete messages pretty regularly. This one conversation deleted everything except for a few random conversations from July 2015 and the last one showing from December 28, 2015. I tried to use the restore option, but it only restored a few responses from me only, none of the other person's responses (and I really didn't want any of this conversation deleted at all as it holds special meaning). Another text that I was saving from the end of January 2016 wouldn't restore at all. I can't tell if this is an HTC One M8 issue, a Verizon Message+ issue, or a Marshmallow update issue. I've tried the Android Data Recovery app, but it said it can't unless I root my phone, which I don't really feel like doing, at least not until I upgrade to another phone. Is there any other way to recover these messages? Or has anyone else run into this and knows why it might have just deleted a bunch of stuff without any kind of prompt or warning?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Lost Text Messages on HTC One M8 After Marshmallow Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

girlinatardis, let's see if we can get those text messages back. Have you attempted any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

HarleyE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
girlinatardis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried restarting the phone after it happened, clicking the message button next to the contacts, restoring from the backup - which would only let me do local as an error message said it wasn't possible for me to restore from anything saved online for some reason. The restore only gave me back my side of conversations, so anything sent from others won't restore. I'm not sure what other troubleshooting options are available.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

girlinatardis,

We understand the importance of keeping all your messages. Let's get to the bottom of this. Can you see the messages online still? Are you attempting to restore on WIFI?

JenelleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
girlinatardis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, I can't see any information about them. They just

disappeared. I attempted to restore on WiFi, but it doesn't give me

anything. I don't have my phone synced to any other devices, so I'm not

sure how I would view the messages online otherwise.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

girlinatardis,

This is definitely an odd thing that occurred with your phone. Do you recall ever using the Verizon Cloud app? This link goes over the Cloud further: http://vz.to/1PJzD8v If you had been using it, you may check the app on your device.

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes