update over wifi
deepsea84
Any one know if I can get the new update over WiFi do to not having phone service where I am at and don't know how long will be before I can get somewhere where I will have service.
0 Likes
Re: update over wifi
Wildman
Legend

Yes you can download over wifi, I do it all the time, do search for update on network or wifi and once the window shows the download option turn on wifi (If on data) and download and install. This should work without issue.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

but if he has no service, will his device even find the update?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

They can check when using wifi also, I just have habit of searching on data connection but I have updated on a unactivated device so it shoulf work on wifi also..

Edited OP to reflect this.. 

0 Likes
deepsea84
It won't even let me check for the update if in airplane mode but when turn off and don't have service it tells me no network and dose not look for updare. Unless I am doing something wrong all help appreciated
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Do not turn on airplane mode, this disable all radios including wifi, all you have to do is make sure device is on and out of airplane mode and then enable wifi and connect to your local network router and then check for update, the data connection would be disabled and the device will use the wifi connetion when wifi was enabled.

0 Likes
deepsea84
I do that and it tells me network not found even when have WiFi is on and got good internet
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Whenever I select the "check new" to have the phone looks for a system update, it is the only time that I know of where the 3G/4G data connection will override the wifi connection. I will actually both the mobile data symbol and a connected wifi symbol on the phone for any time longer than a second or two. If you are somewhere if no Verizon service or no Verizon data service, I am not sure the phone can complete a "check new" command.

I know you can download the update over wifi after the phone has verified that there is one available.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Ann154 wrote:
Whenever I select the "check new" to have the phone looks for a system update, it is the only time that I know of where the 3G/4G data connection will override the wifi connection. I will actually both the mobile data symbol and a connected wifi symbol on the phone for any time longer than a second or two. If you are somewhere if no Verizon service or no Verizon data service, I am not sure the phone can complete a "check new" command.

I know you can download the update over wifi after the phone has verified that there is one available.

this is what i meant. i know you can have wifi enabled and check for an update, but i don't think it will find it unless you are on the network. i believe ann is correct. to check for an update, it uses the network.

edit: wildman....i just noticed that you said you had updated deactivated devices.....so i don't know how the updates work? lol

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

AZSALUKI wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

this is what i meant. i know you can have wifi enabled and check for an update, but i don't think it will find it unless you are on the network. i believe ann is correct. to check for an update, it uses the network.

edit: wildman....i just noticed that you said you had updated deactivated devices.....so i don't know how the updates work? lol

Not sure how this works but i have a Moto Droid 2 that is not activated and only has wifi and i was able to download their latest update.

0 Likes