rhyme wont update to OTA
bridgeitt

Trying to get new software update for my rhyme, every time i go to

settings>software update>check new it starts to check then i get the following error message

Error:

"SERVER UNAVAILABLE

Check for Software Update under Settings when service is available"

I have a full connection to WiFi i also tried on my 3G connection

Does anyone have any suggestions I'd really like to update my phone

Please and thank you Smiley Happy 

0 Likes
Re: rhyme wont update to OTA
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, bridgeitt-

I'd like to help with the device software update. Do you know the current software version on the phone? Let me know by going to Settings> About Phone> Software Information. I'm just looking for the Android version and the software number. I would have recommended trying the download on wifi, so great job testing that out! I also suggest removing the battery from the phone, while powered on. Leave the battery out for 20 seconds then reinsert and power on. After that, check for new software again. Let me know your progress.

Thanks,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ummmm, Adam, the HTC Rhyme doesn't have a removable battery!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Lynneiferr

I can not get mine to update either.  I have once gotten the message mentioned above, but typically I get no information at all.  It just goes to "checking for software update" and then just goes back to the Check for Update screen with no word of whether there was an update available or not. I had a TBolt previously and it would at least tell me there were no updates available.  There is an update for the Rhyme according to Verizon's support site, but I can't get it.

0 Likes
BreeAnne14

Ann, the battery on the Rhyme does remove! I found this out because my boyfriend didn't believe that a phone didn't have a removable battery and a memory card, so I was trying to open everything possible. And I found out that the bottom part of the back of the phone pops off. If you push the back cover towards the bottom of the phone it will come off. You need to use a little effort, but it certainly is there. There is also a memory card secretly in there. I'm not sure if i'm the only one that knows this but my Verizon guy didn't even know this was possible.

Also, my phone is having the update problem too.

0 Likes
vandb123
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have you updated to google play? I just did and it seems to be updating and I have been trying for weeks to get the update before than.

dgtkbrooks

You can remove the back of the phone by pressing down below the HTC on the back. I had to do this today to retrieve the sd card from my old phone to install it in my replacement.

0 Likes
harriscd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just like Lynneiferr I can't get get the update to get past "checking for software update".  Phone is stuck on software version 1.26.605.6.  Technical support transferred me to a HTC rep who said we could get a replacement phone (do I really want a refurb replacement??) or try to take it in and get a tech to hook it up to the machine and update it.  (Option 3 was go to htcdev.com and unlock the bootloader but I won't go there yet)  So we drive to a corporate store and ask if they can do the update.  "We don't have the machine to hook up to the phone"....   ok who does?  "none of the stores have them anymore"  **boggle** Seriously??  So now the new 2.20.605.3 update comes out and to add insult to injury even if I got an OTA push it won't work because you need 1.26.605.11 first.

So, for those of us comfortable enough to use the android system recovery from the bootloader is there an update file we can download onto our SDcard maybe? 

Oh and in response to vandb123 -- I also had to force update to Google Play (which worked to get the market app up-to-date).  But I think that's unrelated to the OTA update.

0 Likes
violinali

vandb123 is correct. My firmware update FINALLY went through after I got Google Play updated on my phone. If you haven't done that yet, go here:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/800567#800567

There's a QR code you can scan that will force your phone to download Google Play. It worked for me, and now my Rhyme is actually faster than before the update!

0 Likes