"10 Attempts Remain before device data is deleted"
Lifebleeder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is their a way to turn this off?  I'm all for security, but if my 3 year old grabs my phone or my wifes phone off the coffee table or something we're screwed.  It would take him about 2 minutes to erase everything if I forget my phone at home while at work/out, or go in another room to grab some coffee/make dinner/whatever.

I did a little digging and the best answer I found was to either deal with it, or totally unsecure my phone.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "10 Attempts Remain before device data is deleted"
Lifebleeder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved my own problem.  Disable stock security, download GO Locker from the play store, set your security settings.  That's it, you're finished.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your phone encrypted further than the out the box passcode?

Although challenging, perhaps it would be best to NOT let your child have access to the device not even to place it where they could reach for it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Lifebleeder
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand that you're trying to be helpful, this is however a non-answer.  Why on earth would I purposefully let my child have access to my phone.  Or leave it in a place they could reach for it.  Things, however, happen.  While those things are happening I would prefer not to come back to my phone being erased, especially when this seems to be a newly added feature, and one that preferably, should be able to be toggled off.

Thankfully I haven't updated my phone yet, so I'll just not install the latest update.  My wife is less lucky and instead has to police where she puts her phone 24 hours a day in the privacy of our own home, when this wasn't much of a problem to begin with.

I use the pattern recognition on my phone, I'm not sure if this 10 times failed applies.  However I can fail with that sometimes 5-6 times in a row when the touchpad doesn't recognize my finger, or I nudge it the wrong way.

0 Likes
Lifebleeder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved my own problem.  Disable stock security, download GO Locker from the play store, set your security settings.  That's it, you're finished.

0 Likes
R01k
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is an excellent example of one of those incoherent "enhancements" that comes sometimes in updates. I can't understand why in the world would somebody add this feature. Now, instead of trying to guess my pattern of PIN, all they need to do is enter it wrong 10 times, the instructions are right in front of them. This nonsense has actually made easier for malicious people to cause damage. Again we are forced to make use of third party solutions.

0 Likes
Lifebleeder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea doesn't seem very well thought threw.

Especially if:

You have kids

Someone doesn't like you

Someone who gets access to your phone is malicious or mischevious

I get that the iphone had implemented this stuff back in 2010, but even they had the foresight to add it as an option.  It being mandatory is completely nonsensical.

0 Likes
R01k
Enthusiast - Level 3

At least they should implement an option to change the number of attempts. I don't want to think what will happen if my 3 years old step-daughter takes my phone when I'm not aware.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Best thing you can do... Don't bother with this forum. The people who need to see it won't. Verizon has no power to even force something like this.

Send and enhancement request to Google bug pages, or the manufacturer forums. You have more clout than carriers do.