new tbolt, all kinds of quirks
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a MOTO Droid, first edition, for 14 months and made it work so I feel like I am pretty open minded. But this...this is strange.  I loaded my couple of apps that I used on my Droid.  No problems.  But I wonder about email since that I what I use it for most.  I turned my phone on this morning.  No email notices.  I got onto the internet from my laptop, I had like 15 emails on 2 different accounts.  Anyway, after over an HOUR, I get a notice on the phone that I have email.  I wonder why?  I haven't changed my notification times so it is set for 15 min polling.  Then I set up a new user account for this forum and I went to look for the email from my phone, same thing, no notification and when I refreshed, it did come up.  But when I went to open the email, it is blank!  From my laptop I can see the contents.  Other email show up with contents.  What gives? 

There are also a lot of times when I can't get to the internet for whatever reason and I never, ever had a problem with my Moto Droid.  What about that?  Is it because I can't get to the 4G?Right now I look at my phone and it says 3G but there are no bars.  Does that mean it is on the 1G or that is just isn't working without being on my home network?

I don't want to take this thing back but it is very odd.

0 Likes
Re: new tbolt, all kinds of quirks
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the record, when I would get an email on my Moto Droid, the notification would sound off nearly at the same time as I would get the email on my laptop.  This phone, who knows?  Is this what people are referring to as "data" issuses?

Wait, I just went to Mail, Menu, More, Settings, Send & Receive and noticed an update schedule which has peak times and days which are only M-F 8-8. I would like to override the peak/nonpeak feature competely and have it be "all the time" so that I don't have my phone going through all that logic however often it does.  Sounds incredibly wasteful.  I need to get my email, pretty quickly, pretty much all the time - who doesn't?  And apparently I need to do this for each account?!?!?!

0 Likes
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, adjusting all that scheduling stuff helped with getting emails, I think.  NOW I am getting them but they are still blank... I am simply putting text in them and nothing appears in them on the phone although from my laptop, I can see the text.  So I forwarded one from my phone back to my account again and the text that I originally typed in is gone.  My signature is there from the forward.  What the heck?!?!  My primary account seems to be working.  It is my secondary account that is messed up.  Why, out of the box, is this an issue?

0 Likes
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

maybe I am closer to...something.  I send my secondary email a simple email with a picture inserted into it.  I refresh my account on my phone, it shows as having a msg. I open it and it has the text and a button to download the pic.  But there is no box with the link thing in it where the pic should be.  But I click on the download button and then it does something but no picture.  Then I can't ever get the picture.  Ideas?

0 Likes
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still no resolution.  Turned my phone on this morning, says I have no email.  Turn on my laptop and I really have 5 email on my primary account.  Still haven't figured out why inserted pictures show up on my primary account email and not on my secondary.  This is crazy but not tolerable...

And the phone is dropping calls way more often than my Moto Droid ever did.  Not sure if it is because of all the new 4G/3G/1G logic of the hardware isn't as good or what.  I have also tried to do *228 but it immediately disconnects and I can't try any of the options.

I know if I go into the Verizon store that the guys in there will be clueless.  I guess I should have bought it from a kiosk at the mall.  At least I wouldn't have to wait in line for service.

0 Likes
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does other people know these things and I just have to find out the hard way?  Apparently either there is no more *228 or it doesn't work with the Tbolt.  The lack of call consistency/quality is a "known issue". 

My strange blank email from Verizon (it wasn't blank when viewed from my laptop) was declared a "glitch" that I should take up with "technical support" when I went to the Verizon store today.  They said, glitches change, sometimes go away, sometimes don't and you learn what works to work around them.  Yes, that's what the guy said  and I laughed.  He said there was nothing wrong with my phone so he couldn't take it back as defective.  Just "glitchy".  I had to laugh again.  I said, I have two degrees in engineering and I know what a glitch is - it means it isn't working correctly. (I called it a bug and he said it wasn't a bug)

Anyway, I am going to call "technical support" tomorrow and see what cute sayings they can come up with.  Not sure if I can keep this phone at this rate. 

0 Likes
jgorton123

but they can take it back for "lack of features".........that's the reason code they put on my past returns.

0 Likes
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good to know the phrase to use - I'm writing it down now.  I wish there were more people on this forum (like you) who knew the ins and outs of this phone.  The Moto Droid forum really saved & inspired me last year.  Thanks for your help!

BTW, are you saying that you have returned Tbolts?  Or are you happy with yours?

0 Likes
annoni
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try wiping the handset... may be a bad image. I've had to wipe them twice before to get them working. Mine lags a little sometimes and now I have a battery issue, but I think I just have a bad app. May need to wipe mine too. 

0 Likes
HTC SENSE has "quirks"
dmruser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Long story short, got Verizon to have a 3 way call with tech support at HTC.  HTC knew about this issue and said that in all cases, the all secondary accounts from a given email service provider will not have full functionality.  So if yahoo is your primary email and you have a secondary yahoo email, that one won't have funn functionality either.  They know this.  There was some discussion whether it was the Sense code or Android in general.  I never experienced this on my Moto Droid but it is broken now...

They suggested running secondary accounts through other 3rd party mail apps but then you have to check more places for email.

This being the case, I'm not sure whether the Sense and the HTC Thunderbolt are sufficient for me.  I wonder what other quirks are out there.

0 Likes