Re: Will I be forced to take ICS update?
smdavis
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had no choice in the matter - I woke up Saturday morning with the update already complete...but had I been given an option, I probably would have updated since I had not prior certainties the my phone would become almost unusable!! I just hope I don't have an emergency call to make anytime soon - as it now takes such a long time to respond or process all tasks!!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Have you tried a Cache wipe on your phone? There are varies ways to dot hem and it is different on each phone, but the cache wipes get rid of the old left behind code and does work wonders. you lose NOTHING, it is not a FDR. An FDR would be the last resort as well.

0 Likes
LoonLady

It would be nice if that notification included the issues that MAY be experienced by installing the upgrade, so we could make an INFORMED choice...

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I dont disagree with you at all. It would be nice it the notification itself took you to a read me section so you could see the following:

What is changing

What is Added

What is retired

What issues you might experience in updating

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

When did you do the update on your phone? If you have a lot of pictures / videos, apps, files etc... on the phone it will take ICS up to 72 hours to optimize the apps, etc... and then another 72 - 96 hours to optimize to how you use it.

0 Likes
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

Wow that's a long time. I didn't realize that. I thought during the update when it said optimizing you applications, then it went through them one by one; that was it. I had no idea software could silently install over that length of time. Technology is really something else nowdays. Hopefully this explains a lot of things. 😉

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

It will run through several Optimizing processes. 1 for each of the below and then some

Apps

Pictures

Music

Sounds

Notifications

Movies

Text Files

Word Files (etc...each file type)

System Files

and more.

Then after it has optimized all of these it will look for your patterns to see how you use the phone and make small adjustments along the way.

A few things you can do if it has been some time now since you have installed ICS.

Do a Cache Wipe (this does NOT touch anything you see or use, it only clears out old orphaned code)

If you have ever changed the SIM Card in your phone and have NOT done a FDR, you might consider that as well but normally the Cache wipe will do the job.