Wifi issues after Android 4.4.2 update (specifically WEP issue with 2.4GHz router)
Tennis-Nut
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an old Westell 2.4Ghz Wifi router which is using 128-bit WEP security (13 character password). 

When I bought my HTC One it came with Android 4.2.2 and could not connect to my home Wifi.  After rebooting, changing passwords, using 2.4GHz network freq on the phone, and trying the mystical power-down, volume-down, special-screen trick ... nothing worked. However, Verizon was kind enough to extend my data plan for free so I could download the massive 4.3 update over 4G network.  Android 4.3 fixed my WEP / Wifi issue.

Early this morning (Feb 18, 2014), Android 4.4.2 was downloaded and installed on my HTC One.  Guess what?  No wifi connection after restarting the phone, rebooting the wifi, etc.  Isn't that nice? 

Android developers, I plead for your mercy.  Please stop making x.x.2 releases!

And also, please fix the WEP issue in 4.4.3.

0 Likes
Re: Wifi issues after Android 4.4.2 update (specifically WEP issue with 2.4GHz router)
roro23
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same wifi connectivity issue since the update. It's quite irritating not being able to connect to my home wifi because its eating up my data. Hope they fix this issue soon!! Anyone else experiencing this issue since the update?

0 Likes
Re: Wifi issues after Android 4.4.2 update (specifically WEP issue with 2.4GHz router)
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered upgrading the router to a new one that can use the more secure and current security standards of WPA2?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tennis-Nut
Enthusiast - Level 1

Upgrade == $$$

No thanks.  I'll spend my money on more important things, like little gifts for my wife.

I have several devices connected to my home WiFi that work just fine (printer, laptops, flat-screen tv, etc).  It is just these Android 4.4.2 devices that fail (yes, I have two HTC One phones, both with the same problem).

Reading the posts on forums.androidcentral.com , it looks like lots of folks are having the same issue.

0 Likes
cabrams13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this problem too. I finally found a solution on a Sprint forum:

To fix wi-fi problem on 4.4.2 android you have to rename Wi-fi direct device name.

Go to: Wifi - then 3 dots - wifi direct - 3 dots - rename device - HTC One.

Hope this helps.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Routers don't last forever. If yours is over five years old, it could be failing. I had a eight year old Linksys router and I was having issues with my HTC Thunderbolt and a Galaxy Nexus phones staying connected to the router. My other devices didn't have any trouble either. Once I switched my router to a new router, my wifi issues with those two phones were corrected. It took me over a year to research it to ensure it was the router and to find a suitable replacement without costing too much.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tennis-Nut
Enthusiast - Level 1

Awesome!  That worked.  I named one phone "HTC ONE" and the other "htc one" just in case there was a naming collision.  Both are now happily connected to my wicked old 2.4GHz WEP WiFi.

By the way, I also tried changing the WiFi to WPA security, but that didn't help.  The only thing that worked is the hard-coded "HTC ONE" device name.

0 Likes
roro23
Enthusiast - Level 1

This worked! THANK YOU!

0 Likes
Tennis-Nut
Enthusiast - Level 1

What I found interesting is that my wife's phone still has connectivity, but my connectivity (to my home wifi) only lasted 24 hours.

Still hoping for a real solution from Android.

0 Likes
mikey0271
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh my god...this totally worked....you are a genius...

0 Likes